• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P5k Prem. Questions.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Epilon

As this is my 3rd time trying to build my computer, (the other two were used up on an EVGA 680i board which was dead, both times) I decided to switch to the Asus P5k Premium. Are there any things I should watch for while assembling? I heard there were issues with the fans and what not. I have a Q6600, 8800 Ultra, 2g Crucial Ballistix and 2 WD 500gb Hard drives.
Any input is appreciated as this is my final attempt at getting my build to work.
Thanks.

The board has had issues with some WD and Maxtor drives. I had to abandon using my Maxtor SATA drive as the board just could not work with it, unable to format, corrupt installation of Vista.

Save yourself a big headache, get an IDE drive for the OS and forget running RAID until ASUS fixes the problem. Other than that it's a great board.

As this is my 3rd time trying to build my computer, (the other two were used up on an EVGA 680i board which was dead, both times) I decided to switch to the Asus P5k Premium. Are there any things I should watch for while assembling? I heard there were issues with the fans and what not. I have a Q6600, 8800 Ultra, 2g Crucial Ballistix and 2 WD 500gb Hard drives.
Any input is appreciated as this is my final attempt at getting my build to work.
Thanks.

Here's to your dedication :beer:

The board has had issues with some WD and Maxtor drives. I had to abandon using my Maxtor SATA drive as the board just could not work with it, unable to format, corrupt installation of Vista.

So does it just not work with WD drives in RAID? Or in general? I dont plan on RAIDing them together anyway.
Ehh.

I'm running a pretty standard RAID 0 on the P5K Premium and have had no issues... albeit the two drives are 80gb Seagate perps... my Data drive is a single WD 250.

If there is an issue, i'm not seeing it.

~ Gos

So is it only with Raid? Or do all WD owners need to be weary?
And if for some reason it didn't like the drive, would it still POST?

I don't think it's that cut and dried with WD and Maxtor. The problems seem to be based around which drive you put the OS on and if you are using RAID. I haven't tried my Maxtor drive as a data drive yet but I couldn't use it as the boot drive for windows. It also doesn't affect all WD / Maxtor drives.
The drive issue will not stop it posting or seeing the drive but when you try to install windows you either get a corrupted install or it cannot create partitions properly.

I think that the whole SATA issue is an issue somewhere in the management implementation... Aka, since each model of a hard drive from a company is slightly different in how they handle the disk drive at the hardware level it is a toss up on wether it will work or not... PS install the new bios that asus released.

Back