• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FlashDrive question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fill2d

Registered
Hi guys,

Just wanted to know if theres any flash drives out there that I can install my adobe and 3dsmax softwares etc onto, I am a part time cgi designer and I am constantly moving locations all over uk and I need a portable method of working on machines running the programs off my flash drive, I didn't want an external hard drive as there clunky to carry around, I wanted a flash drive that will work with installing programs such as those which require registry entrys and will work stand alone from my flash drive without wanting to mess with the pc it will be running off if you know what i mean, as my previous attempt at this it seemed it was alright installing the core files for my software on the pendrive but the registry entrees went onto the OS ...:confused:

Also, It would need to be about 8gb to manage installing all my packages on it, if not bigger? is there a device out there thats pocket size and capable of doing this from usb... all responses are thank fully appreciated.

well here is a 12gig CF card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820171255
or maybe a 16gigs?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010070068+1053325334&name=16GB

i would buy over 8gig if thats what needed just to install them. as well programs that makes regkey's. find those keys in regedit, then make a file that when run it will add those keys to said computer. thats about the only way your going to get around that.

Easier said than done! hehe...

Some of those registry keys are really hard to find.

Be ready to spend some time on google.

SuperTalent make 16gig USB flash drives that are quite affordable...

aha, thanks guys for the replys and pointing me in the right direction, but is there a way to make a pretend reg on the pendrive in anyway? or a way around finding all the reg files that i'll need or a program that can find all the reg files a program is using :\ hmm, and when im finished with the machine reg files will be left behind unless i remove them?? as they will contain my product keys i guess. hmm :|

you can make 2 copies of the reg file, 1 to add them and 1 to remove them (you just add the '-' in front of every entry)

ahhh, ok all good so far but i also want to make a reg script that removes all the reg files that the previous script inports, and you use a '-'?

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Autodesk]
-"SupportsOptions"=dword:00000001

does nothing :(. How do you make it remove that entry ?

Back