• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

6400+ Help - Temps, Voltage, + OC! Pls.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kbrunick

Hello all, new to the forum. Also fairly new with OCing. First let me give you my pc info.

Cooler Master Centurion 5
Foxconn C51XEM2AA
4gb Corsair XMS DDR2 Enchanced Profile at 4.4.4.12 2.1v
eVga 8800gts 640mb
OCZGameXtream 700W
Vista 64bit
X2 6400+

Here are my EVEREST Temps, and CPUZ pic. Do the temps seem high? This is idle as well. I have a Zalman 9700 (I think, its the big Zalman that is silver and has green fan light)

cpuzyh3.jpg
everestpz1.jpg

Also, what is the Vcore suppose to be at? 1.4? I tried OC it to 214x16, 3424mhz and tried doing a dual SuperPi test one for both cores and the program just stopped responding. I upped the vcore to 1.450 and 1.475 but it didnt change much in everest, maybe to 1.35v.

My BIOS doesn't have an option to change the divider for my RAM. I can only do User Limit DDR2 400,533, 667, 800. I limited it to 667 and lowered my HTT Multi to 4x. Still couldn't get it to run.

I don't know what the problem is, also these temps seem high at idle so I'm worried about it being OC'd. Do I look at CPU? Or each of the core temps to determine temp? Any help? Thanks guys.

I believe with that chip 1.4 is the stock voltage and 1) does run hot and 2) apparently is not a very good ocing chip. Also, your board does have a memory divider, that what your doing by changing the memory speed.

I have seen some other threads where people are around 3.5 with this thing. I thought I could get 3.4 at least. Newegg stock says its 1.35-1.4, so why is mine only at 1.3?

maybe you need to point a box fan at it with case door off and run it up to around 1.45?

jking but temp look ok...

BTW WELCOME TO OUR FORUMS :beer:

Why my Vcore at 1.3v? and not 1.4v and why doesn't it reflect whats in BIOS...when i set it to 1.425 it doesnt go to 1.425

Undervolting. Very common on the newier stuff... Just try to check the avg vcore while under load. may have to bump it above what you would like it at.

I have seen some other threads where people are around 3.5 with this thing. I thought I could get 3.4 at least. Newegg stock says its 1.35-1.4, so why is mine only at 1.3?

Please understand that some people define a stable oc, buy it booting into Windows and they never run any stress tests. Newegg, although a decent source of information, should never the less be taken with a grain of salt.

6400.jpg

Thermaltake A1
2GB Corsair XMS2, 4-4-4-4-12
Vista x86 Ultimate
eVGA 8800GTX (768MB)
Antec 500w (this is barely cutting it)
Default vcore voltage

I can run 250fsb and x14 multiplier at 3.5ghz, but it's not stable, due to the lack of power, probably. The max I've tried was 3.52ghz at 220fsb x16 multiplier with 1.5 vcore.

You aren't going to get much more than 3.4-3.5Ghz from this chip, there's just nothing left in it. If you want to get into extreme cooling and crank the Vcore, you may get higher yields, but on air, that's probably going to be it. I can get mine to 3.45Ghz, anything higher and it errors in SuperPI, it doesn't matter how much more vcore I give it, it just hits a wall at 3.45Ghz. I've run mine stock at 1.28Vcore w/o any problems. If I leave my Vcore set to auto, it runs it at 1.41v. My idle temps are in the high 20's/low 30's at stock settings with a Noctua sink/120mm fan.

Hi,

I recently upgraded from the 6000+ to the 6400+ and can honestly say that it was a waste of money, OK, I got lucky and sold the 6000+ for pretty much the full RRP. so the 6400+ cost me next to nothing anyway....

I had the 6000+ OC'd to a rock stable 3450MHz, and the 6400+ has only managed 3520MHz stable 24/7 at 1.45v...... so only a 70MHz improvement.... trying for any higher has the same results as Hawaii, can't get it any higher, I havn't tried really pushing the voltage, I upped it 1.525v but didn't go any higher than that as I wouldn't be comfortable with any voltage higher than that for day to day use.....

So IMO its not worth getting the 6400+ better to save some cash and get the 6000+ instead..........

BTW: your temps are ok I'd say for air, I'm on water, and see idle temps of 32-35C and load temps of 39-44C.....

Just to give you a comparison......though this is on 1.45v and OC'd to 3520MHz...... and thats the CPU temp not the core temps.....noramlly my core temps will be a little higher than the CPU temp....so your Everest readings look a little odd to me.....don't know if anyone else can comment on this....i.e. is it normal for the CPU temp to be higher than the core temps....especially that much higher, it seems a very big variance to me....20C difference between the core temps and the CPU temp...... ?????

Back