• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

QX9650 @ 4.5GHz ON AIR!!! 5.4GHz at -120C

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The QX yes, not the others with their low multi

Hipro5 ran 4.7 on air and 5.6 on LN2 old news

Ive been fooled before by those ES chips. I wouldnt put too much faith until retail shows up. I however believe in the 5.6ghz on LN because regular 65nm can do this with the QX and it is basically same architecture. The 4.7ghz on air seems to fishy and he says he is using a 10$ cooler lol. Funny ****. The TDP of those 45nm X chips are so high as is.

The TDP of the 45nm chips is lower than the 65nm chips, but defiantley thats not a 10$ heatsink for 4.7ghz. Why not just put a great big sign up saying "Click here if your gullible". If it was a TT or an Ultra 120 extreme, then maybe yes if you got the right ambients for it, eg out doors in antartica....

Lets see some real big benchmarks form the real chips, and then start believing. Till then my rig is just sweet as it is.

There are a few people with the 7xmulti with 12mb of chache they run 2.33ghz stock ES. The multi is not unlocked, they say the stepping is bad but who knows it cant be that bad its 45nm and it passed enough tests to make it out of intel. They were struggling to hit 3.3ghz. Thats around 475ish FSB which is the same FSB with the QX at 4.7ghz but with its 10x multi. Thats the difference. I have not seen 500FSB with a quad not under extreme cooling. So even if your super lucky and can run 500fsb with a 7.5 multi thats only 3.75ghz. I can run that with my G0.

The low multi really handicaps the chips. Intel is smart. Release the great clocking chips a few months early, hard core people will jump on them and advertise for them before they release the slower ones and everyone will want to buy the cheaper version but it wont be able to do the same with the low multi. So now if you want close to a 4ghz or above its QX or nothing. QX is given alot bigger advantage for once. E8500 looks real nice for high clocks though 4.2ghz should not be a problem with its 9x multi.

The guys running the Q9250s (2.33ghz/333fsb/12MB) seem to have stepping 1 chips.
Fugger seems to have had an X5482 (3.20ghz/400fsb/12MB) based stepping 4 chip at IDF.
The guys running the QX9650s (3.00ghz/333fsb/12MB) seem to have stepping 6 chips.

I'm amazed the early stepping chips do that well.

As jmorgan mentioned ~475fsb seems to be the barrier right now, which basically limits your overclock to 50% on a chip with a locked mutiplier (or 19% if you're using a 400FSB Xeon).

This poll seems to indicated that this is typical with current quads as well: http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=526305

So hopefully either intel gets the max fsb up, or gives us chips with higher multipliers.

Just for what its worth, Hipro5 running his 4.65GHz QX9650 was running it on a Tuniq and a single delta fan. The vCore was also only a measly 1.4X volts as well, so I really dont think thats asking for much. As said though, all of these insane clocks really are going to rely on unlocked multipliers (QX only).

Also FWIW, there have been quite a few instances where ES chips clock poorly compared to the retail chips. Just something to keep in mind.

Shamino did 6GHz with all 4 cores on with LN2 :eek: Hipro did 4.75GHz on the same air with higher Vc Surf, also with all 4 cores on. It seems like newer steps are OCing better than earlier ones, so I wouldn't be surprised if retails can clock just as well or better. Duals could probably be insane OCers. At this rate, 5GHz+ on air almost looks like it would be easy, but probably a waste on cold with the limited multi's :(

Shamino did 6GHz with all 4 cores on with LN2 :eek: Hipro did 4.75GHz on the same air with higher Vc Surf, also with all 4 cores on. It seems like newer steps are OCing better than earlier ones, so I wouldn't be surprised if retails can clock just as well or better. Duals could probably be insane OCers. At this rate, 5GHz+ on air almost looks like it would be easy, but probably a waste on cold with the limited multi's :(

I am thinking temperatures aren't going to be a problem here, more like tight voltage regulation etc.

I am not so sure about the duallies going to be such great clockers...

Wow, I'm glad I waited and didn't get a Q6600. Typically though, if I were to get a Q9450 with the 8X multiplier, would it usually not reach that high of a clock because of the needed FSB speed? Aren't these still based on DDR2 as well?

I am thinking temperatures aren't going to be a problem here, more like tight voltage regulation etc.

I am not so sure about the duallies going to be such great clockers...
We'll see on the duallies. I know some non-X 45nm quad ES's aren't clocking as well, but we'll see what happens when some E8x00s start popping up.

Wow, I'm glad I waited and didn't get a Q6600. Typically though, if I were to get a Q9450 with the 8X multiplier, would it usually not reach that high of a clock because of the needed FSB speed? Aren't these still based on DDR2 as well?
It may not clock that high anyway. If you're lucky, you can get a decent piece of silicon without shelling for an Extreme proc, but it's a crap shoot. Low multi's will definitely be a problem for high clocks though as a lot of FSB will be needed and that will depend mostly on the mobo. Mobo also determines what mem type you need, it has nothing to do with the procs.

JCLW said:
X38 chipset is DDR2 and/or DDR3
X48 is DDR3 only
Gigabyte X48 DQ6 has a DDR2 version. X48 is the same as X38, but higher binned, so it's up to the manufacturers whether to make boards DDR2 or 3 with them.

Gigabyte X48 DQ6 has a DDR2 version. X48 is the same as X38, but higher binned, so it's up to the manufacturers whether to make boards DDR2 or 3 with them.

I did not know that - Cheers.

Back