• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BOINC service stops

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mustanley

I've been loading up BOINC on my high end rigs for the gauntlet. On my office machine (Dell Optiplex 755, e6750, 2gb ram, Vista 32bit) the service just quits out of nowhere. This is the third time it's happened in the last 3 days and I have no idea why. The BOINC manager says it has lost connection with the client.

I open services.msc and the BOINC service is set to automatic, but not running. I can start it up again and cruncing ensues. But for how long until the thing quits again?

I'm running the optimizations for Vista 32bit linked in eaglescouter's sticky.

I hope you guys can help. It happened once on my vista 64bit rig at home (Q6600) a few days ago, but it's been fine ever since.

Make sure all the settings are correct like make sure Computing is allowed when in use, and make sure there is no restriction on time when it can run

Nothing looks out of the ordinary in the preferences and this machine has no restrictions on it. Under "Activity" I've got "Run Always" selected and "Network Activity Always Available"

Yes, those are the optimizations I installed. So are you saying there is a newer version... where might I find it?

I got exactly the same problem with one of my systems, Boinc just quits all by itself after a few hours of running.

I found out that this only happens with the 5.10.20 version of the Boinc, so I installed older version and its working fine now. :shrug:

Yeah this is happening to me too, but just with the default install... boing service just stops for no reason whatsoever. This is very bad.

How have you been installing it? I always install mine as a single user - but I've put it in the Startup folder for everybody without problems. Of course, it won't run if no one is logged on but runs fine even if the machine is user locked ...

I'm using the service install. The service had stopped again on my Q6600 - it was sitting idle when I got home from work. :bang head

Mustanley, go to the service properties and reenter your password for the account it runs under, this seems to fix it for me.

Checked the event viewer, and wouldn't you know it...

The BOINC service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s).

So I re-entered the password like Nik suggested (Thanks, btw) and then clicked on the recovery tab of the service properties and set the service to restart after the first, second and subsequent failures. Hopefully this will take care of it.

Back