• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BSOD only in BOINC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Did I accidentally end up on the forum for conversation? :D
Mandrake - That's a good thought. However, I've had several versions since the win7 reinstall, and the behavior hasn't changed.
Mr. Scott - (big Star Trek fan here) That depends on your definition of stable. Only one application giving me headaches. I'd call that stable captain, and a wee bit more.
It is rather difficult to diagnose issues with other people Pc's when one cannot put their hands physically on that Pc and see what is what. Only way of trying to figure out what is going on is by asking questions or making suggestions. You installing several versions since the Re-install of windows only makes me think more that it could be an issue with the Oc. Apparently, you do not feel the same, the only other solution to see what is causing the issue is trying what Scotty posted below. Good luck.

Easy enough to find out. Run BOINC at stock. If it doesn't BSOD.......your OC was unstable. No point in arguing stability.
Agreed

Last edited:
I rarely post to sites seeking answers, and this experience is reminding me why.

Mandrake - You start by making an observation that everyone already knows, and offers zero insight. Then you misconstrue what I have tried with great care to express clearly, and concisely. I clearly indicated in the very beginning that I was seeking advice on how to tweak the OC so as to stop the BSOD's that occur while runing BOINC
Scotty - I have no doubt that my PC, like the hundred plus at work, will run BOINC without blue-screening if I run at stock. LOOK AT THE SUBJECT LINE OF MY POST.

I am grateful for the efforts so far, but if there is anyone else who can grasp what I'm asking, and has expertise in this area, I would really appreciate your input.

Scotty - I have no doubt that my PC, like the hundred plus at work, will run BOINC without blue-screening if I run at stock. LOOK AT THE SUBJECT LINE OF MY POST.

I am grateful for the efforts so far, but if there is anyone else who can grasp what I'm asking, and has expertise in this area, I would really appreciate your input.

It's not rocket science. YOUR MACHINE IS TOO UNSTABLE TO RUN BOINC WITHOUT BSOD.
The fix: lower your OC until you can run it.
You will find no one here that will disagree with that.
/thread

I rarely post to sites seeking answers, and this experience is reminding me why.

Mandrake - You start by making an observation that everyone already knows, and offers zero insight. Then you misconstrue what I have tried with great care to express clearly, and concisely. I clearly indicated in the very beginning that I was seeking advice on how to tweak the OC so as to stop the BSOD's that occur while runing BOINC

I offered Zero insight? Really? I'm sorry that while trying to help you offered Zero insight. I am not here getting paid to try and help you, I'm doing it because I enjoy helping, sometimes... I posted what I did because I felt that it could be helpful, sorry you feel differently. Considering you made Zero attempt to even try what was asked there is not much I can do. Again I'm sitting hundreds of miles away on my own Pc and cannot get my hands on yours. Here is your simple Oc, add Cpu voltage until it no longer Bluescreens running seti or your heat load is above 85c.

So this has been a great waste of time. Is there anyone on this site who can look at the o/clock settings I've shown, and advise on stabilizing an i7-3930k, on an X-79 platform where the only instability is with BOINC?

So this has been a great waste of time.

/rant on

I am not really sure what your problem is with the feedback you have received. People have offered their suggestions, and a method of how to test for it.

The folks on this site offer their guidance as they enjoy this as a hobby. Insulting them and pointing out what you see as their deficiencies because they cannot give you a 1 line answer...well, that is not really the way I was brought up.

Not all silicon is the same. You are running your silicon beyond the manufacturer's specification. Once you have gone in that direction there is no secret sauce.

If you are getting a BSOD, then your system is not stable...period.

A suggestion was offered to run at stock to validate the hardware...you scoffed it off.

There is no "magic bullet" to determine system stability...again, you are running outside of the manufacturer's specification for the part.

/rant off

Now, while I am not overclocking your chip, I ran into a similar problem with my i7-5280K getting a BSOD. It would run for days 24/7 on SETI@Home, and then I would go back to the PC and see that it had rebooted. If you look in the Windows Event Viewer, look for the critical error, it will tell you why the PC rebooted.

I had the same error you posted, even though I thought I had a stable overclock.

I had tested with the same tools in your doc. But, as mentioned above, Prime95 is by far the toughest on a CPU overclock for stability. My previous recipe was to be stable at small-FFT. I read these boards, changed the run to blend test and WHAM - I got the same error within 5 minutes.

How did I fix it? I increased Vcore until the system passed...then ran for 2 hours. 1.5 hours into my first Prime95 blend run I got the error. I increased Vcore a tad more and it is fine.

I have not had a BSOD for over a week now.

Is my OC stable? For now it is.

Did you already receive the advice to increase your Vcore a tad? Yes. Did you try it yet?

If you don't want to do that because it's too much heat, then you need to lower your CPU frequency to be stable. Heat dissipation goes up as voltage_increase^2 times frequency_increase. I posted a thread on how to calculate estimates for your power and temperature.

Yoss,

You are getting some solid advice here. I suggest you try what was asked of you so these more than capable members that are helping you, for free, can zero in on the issue. You are asking us to diagnose, but not allow us to run tests for differentials.

Be a little, scratch that, A LOT more gracious to these people. The passive agressive backhanded jabs are getting on people's nerves (post was reported... why I am here). Thanks, and good luck! :)

Last edited:
He's a chooch. I'm done. :p
I have yet to meet an IT guy that didn't think that they were a hardware/overclock genius too.

Last edited:
How'd you know I was Italian? :)

While I appreciate the fact that people in a group have a tendency to speak up for each other. Unfortunately, this usually leads to biased perceptions, and when that dialog is through typing it can get much worse. I never meant to insult anyone, and don't believe I did. I never called anyone a name. I spoke to their information.

If you read my first post you'll see that I provided a lot of specific information. I also asked, as graciously as I could, that I wanted specific information on my overclock from people who had good knowledge of my platform, and why it was unstable only in BOINC. I knew my overclock was unstable under those specific circumstances, yet how many people wrote telling me my ovcerclock was unstable?

Earthdog - what solid advice did I get relative to what I was specifically asking? Apart from a general statement about voltages, what settings for which component were suggested? Did you read my doc? It shows that I have tried numerous settings. My hope was that the people who were nice enough to take time to offer advice would read it first, and avoid giving suggestions for things I've already tried.

JrCocker - the second paragraph of your post is exactly what I was looking for from the beginning. As I had mentioned, I seldom turn to specific sites to resolve PC issues when I'm looking for specific solutions. The tendency is for the thread to turn into a discussion. If that's what other people want, that's fine. I just wanted specific information, such as you offered. As to your one question - did you read the doc I posted? If so, you would have seen the range of voltages I used, as well as the temps they generated. I provided that doc largely in the hopes of avoiding getting well-intentioned, but already tried advice.

Scotty - If I thought I was an overclocking genius I wouldn't have come to this site seeking advice. Thanks for your time.

Thank you all for your time, and trouble. Sorry if this was an unpleasant experience for some of you. No need to continue the bickering. Have a good day all.

Back