• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My computer will simply not overclock!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NoodleGTS

Hi guys. I have a problem where every single time I try to overclock by any amount, I either cannot get through POST or will BSOD as soon as i log onto windows. Sometimes it even freezes during the windows load screen, and even when I try to load safe mode.

When it freezes before windows, the message my Striker Exterme gives me is "MP INIT." In windows its BSOD... I have a Q6600 G0 and 2 1GB Corsair Dominator 800Mhz DDR2s. When I run at stock clocks, I get no errors at all and everything runs great.

It's not a heat issue.. my HSF does a good job keeping the system cool. My problem is that anytime I overclock... even just to 1333FSB.. i get BSOD or freezing before post.

Do any of you have this same setup as me, and what BIOS do you use? ALso what settings should I make in the BIOS? I've read the overclocking sticky and done everything that it said, but it won't work.

Yeah, that's the article i was referring to. I don't know why but I've never been able to overclock. I've had this problem with a different motherboard and processor, same RAM both times though.

Yeah, that's the article i was referring to. I don't know why but I've never been able to overclock. I've had this problem with a different motherboard and processor, same RAM both times though.

Hmmm, suspicious then. Try with one stick of RAM, then swap them. RAM can often be the source of problem.

Hmmm, suspicious then. Try with one stick of RAM, then swap them. RAM can often be the source of problem.

+1 trial and error is whats gonna solve a lot of problems and will help you element possible causes so you can figure out exactly what is going wrong

if possible try testing parts in another working machine one by one until you find the culprit

Noodle,
You didn't mention Vcore settings. I found it easier to set Vcore into the middle of the range - say 1.3 - 1.35v, then begin move FSB up gradually. After you find a good OC range, decrease Vcore to the lowest stable voltage.

Pay attention to the DDR2 speed setting because it is coupled to FSB and sometimes will enter unrealistically high settings that can crash your system. For your memory, pick DDR2 numbers that are less than 800MHz, until you establish a stable OC point.

Pay attention to the DDR2 speed setting because it is coupled to FSB and sometimes will enter unrealistically high settings that can crash your system. For your memory, pick DDR2 numbers that are less than 800MHz, until you establish a stable OC point.
Actually, he has the 680i motherboard that is capable of running the RAM at a specified speed regardless of what the FSB is ;)

OP: Has you tried setting your memory to unlinked (running them at stock) and tried overclocking again?

Last edited:
Yes, but the OP is just starting out with overclocking and may not have noticed that the DDR2 is changing when he changes FSB.
That is why I asked if he tried running the memory unlinked ;)

I've tried running with 1 stick of RAM only, then swapping them and trying again.. OCing will still crash my comp. I've tried leaving EVERYTHING at stock and only putting my FSB to 333 and my vcore to 1.4. My system will either not POST or will BSOD.

THere's talk about the 1303 BIOS working better than the one I have (1305). I will try it and see what happens. THe error I get most of the time is "MP INIT."

I recently upgraded to a 1000w Ultra X3 PSU, so I know that's not the problem.. I was having problems with my 600watt too.

Actually, he has the 680i motherboard that is capable of running the RAM at a specified speed regardless of what the FSB is ;)

OP: Has you tried setting your memory to unlinked (running them at stock) and tried overclocking again?

My first thought was this. I think you're running the RAM at too high a frequency. Make sure your RAM is running at or below it's rated speed when you overclock.

Also, it should be noted that quad core processors do not run well on the Nvidia 680i chipset. eVGA did a recall on their 680i boards, but there wasn't much improvement even with the revised boards. I think you may want to return your mobo and get one with a different chipset if you really want to overclock.

I set my memory speed to 800 manually (800mhz is default for this type) and my FSB to 133, and it still BSODs or won't post. I kept all other settings in the BIOS the same, except increased the fsb to 333 and upped the voltage to 1.4.

At this point, I'd blame the 680i chipset. It's got serious problems with quadcores. If you want to overclock your processor, you're going to want a different motherboard.

It's usually represented at it's effective or "rated speed" rather than the actual clock frequency so I don't think that's an issue.

my old 680i A1 hated my quad, and the pc8500 i have. i sold the board to a guy who is haveing same issues i did, but with a twist. the board hates his quad too, and it wont run the corsair xms stuff he uses. i see people get good results with quads and those boards, but they must be hand built limited editions, or flukes.

I set my memory speed to 800 manually (800mhz is default for this type) and my FSB to 133, and it still BSODs or won't post. I kept all other settings in the BIOS the same, except increased the fsb to 333 and upped the voltage to 1.4.
Did you try upping GTL Reference Voltage?

set you vcore manually to 1.45 to rule out not enough cpu voltage. also up the cpuvtt voltage as we.. another thing may be you left the timings to auto, manually set the timings. is the NB actively cooled?

All of this speculation as to what's wrong is kind of pointless considering that the 680i chipset has known problems with quad cores. It's just not going to happen.

Back