• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My system, Need some info

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zanson

So i just stumbled apon this forum a few days ago. just kinda reading around and decided to join.

so heres my system:

ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4
2-ASUS EN8600GT SILENT/HTDP/256M GeForce 8600GT 256MB (SLI Setup)
2-Seagate Barracuda 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s
2-pqi TURBO 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel (4GB total, But i did not realize that the time 3GB would on;y show and that my OS only uses 2.5GB of it -_-)
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ Manchester 2.4GHz Socket 939 Processor Model ADA4600BVBOX
Running Windows XP Pro 32-Bit

SO my main question is, what can i do to make it better? and where did i go wrong in the creation of this beast?

I want some opinions on this, so that the next machine i build will be even better.

only thing i ask is that you be constructive with your criticism.

Thanks,
Z

Not sure what you would like to hear. It looks like a fine system to me. How does it run for you?

Anything that runs slower than you want it to?

Okay, firstly, :welcome: to OCF!!!

Now, for your rig...

What I would do is get a single graphics card, like the 8800gts or the 8800gt, and sell those 8600's.

Reason?

A single card is more reliable in terms of drivers, and less heavy power requirement wise. Also, a single 8800gt will be MUCH better performance wise, so it really is a win win win situation...

More logic?

You can then use that faster single card in your new system when you finally come over to the Intel side of life:D

(You didn't really ask, but the reason you cannot use all the 4gig's of RAM is that you need a 64bit operating system)

Conclusion:

Other than waiting for better AMD stuff, or waiting for Nehalem (intel) to come out, there isn't much that I could advise to upgrade on that rig. You will get better value by doing a complete new build early next year, if you need better performance...

games run good, but i have noticed lately that photoshop cs3 opens slower then i would like, and i see some jumps in video at times when playing games and what not. but i assume i just need to update drivers for that stuff.. i did see though that the demo of world in conflict brought my system to it's knees. it was pretty bad.

i guess what i wanna know is if it's possible to over clock this a little and what i should look at 1st to get better performance. also, any suggestions or opinions of the components i used.

im looking to make something more powerfull sometime in the spring for a 64-bit OS but if i can get more from this, i'll try it 1st lol.

i know, im showing my noobness here... i just wanna see what people think of it. :shrug:

Okay, firstly, :welcome: to OCF!!!

Now, for your rig...

What I would do is get a single graphics card, like the 8800gts or the 8800gt, and sell those 8600's.

Reason?

A single card is more reliable in terms of drivers, and less heavy power requirement wise. Also, a single 8800gt will be MUCH better performance wise, so it really is a win win win situation...

More logic?

You can then use that faster single card in your new system when you finally come over to the Intel side of life:D

(You didn't really ask, but the reason you cannot use all the 4gig's of RAM is that you need a 64bit operating system)

Conclusion:

Other than waiting for better AMD stuff, or waiting for Nehalem (intel) to come out, there isn't much that I could advise to upgrade on that rig. You will get better value by doing a complete new build early next year, if you need better performance...
thank you for the info. i will look into that..

yea unfortunately it seems intel has taken over..

and yea, kinda figured the 64bit os would help with that... but the bios shows 4GB but only uses 3GB... will 64bit os help with this as well?

64 bit os'es can use all four.

As for Intel taking over, really only in benchmarks. If you dont care about benchmarks and encoding being a tad slower then stick with AMD.

Back