• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What to do with my brisbane

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

blackersabbath

I had sent my 4000 x2 brisbane back to newegg and they are saying that it is physically damaged and they won't honor a refund or exchange. The only problem that I had with it was that it seemed to be running too hot and I put the heatsink on fine and all that good stuff. I think they should be sending it back to me I guess. What should I do with it? De-lid and see if I can't get the temps down or? I was thinking about switching to Intel but if I am getting an AMD back I think that I might as well see what I can do with this one.

I don't want to sell it to someone if UPS kicked the box around and broke the cpu. I wouldn't want someone to do that to me and I wouldn't do that to them. I RMA'd the board I was using just waiting on the refund. I was thinking about trying out the 520-A2 and a 3800x2 windsor core. I have heard good and bad about the brisbanes.

Last edited:
Early Brisbane = high leakage (higher temps, lower OCs when pushing volts)... the later steppings, especially the 5000+ Black Edition, have done much better.

If you are Ok with 2x512kb of L2 then go with the 5000+ Black Edition... otherwise, if you want 2x1mb L2 then you'll have to go up to a bit higher clocked Windsor, but the F3 revision of Windsor has done very well also. Pick your poison I guess.

Early Brisbane = high leakage (higher temps, lower OCs when pushing volts)... the later steppings, especially the 5000+ Black Edition, have done much better.

If you are Ok with 2x512kb of L2 then go with the 5000+ Black Edition... otherwise, if you want 2x1mb L2 then you'll have to go up to a bit higher clocked Windsor, but the F3 revision of Windsor has done very well also. Pick your poison I guess.

i would 2nd that. if i had not bought my 5600+ then i would have gone for a 5000+ black.

btw if ur cpu is bad then push it way to hard if u have to order a different one.

Well, I was thinking about getting that 520-A2 with a 3800 windsor and trying the 4000 brisbane while having the windsor as a backup. I don't have a ton of money to spend on this comp and it has been about a month it seems trying to get something set up with the RMA and the one week screwing around with the original comp to get windows installed.

I emailed newegg to find out what was damaged but haven't got a reply yet. I am thinking maybe it is because I didn't clean the AS5 off the cpu? I am not sure because I didn't think I would have to clean it because I didn't want them to think I was trying to run the cpu with no thermal paste

Last edited:
i would not get a 3800+. i have had 2 of them and I could never get more than a 200-300 MHZ over clock out of them. they suck. and there slow. and did I say the suck, cause they wont over clock at all.

I cant believe ur brisbanes is a bad chip. what bout hitting up AMD dont they have a 3 year on them?

and being that u had a bad mobo how do u know that was not just the problem. I know we bought bout the same stuff. I had problems too but mine where cause the G.Skill Ram did not play well with that mobo when it came to over clocking.

I hadn't tested the chip on another mobo because I don't have another one to test it on. I RMA'd everything I had bought on that order which was the Biostar TF7025, 4000 brisbane, G.Skill RAM and the TR2 Thermaltake 430w. They are giving me a refund for everything minus the brisbane because supposedly it is physically damaged. I am awaiting an email from newegg about why they say it is physically damaged. I tried the live chat thing and they told me that I had to reply to the email they sent me. I just don't see how it could have been damaged because the only thing wrong with it was the temps which is supposedly normal with those chips. The Biostar Utility was reading 50c idle. I tried reseating the heatsink with AS5 and the temps were still high. The fact that I could only install Windows 2000 not XP or Vista was really making me frustrated so that's why I just RMA'd everything. Since then I moved in with my brother (the girlfriend and I got in a huge fight and she kicked me out) He has given me his old Thermaltake XaserV case, Corsair XMS2 C4 2x512MB, a Thermaltake PurePower 400w PSU(I'm not sure if I will be using it) and a couple of fans once we can find them in his piles of computer parts. I should be set on RAM and a case for a while. He runs a TR2 430w with his rig which is:
EVGA 680i I'm not sure which revision it is but it has all the copper cooling on it
Intel E6300 cooled with Zalman 9500 all copper
4GB Crucial Ballistix DDR2-800
2x160GB WD SATA HDD
1x320GB HDD (not sure which these are but I think WD also)
XFX 7600GT PCI-E
2 DVD burners (one Asus and I think the other is liteon)
a fan controller
4 case fans I believe

I think that the PSU he is using should be fine for me. I will be running one HDD, one DVD burner, AM2 mobo with AC7 cooler and some AM2 cpu (probably the brisbane) the XMS2 and I think I am going to get an EVGA 7600GT. I just gotta figure out if I should buy a backup brisbane just in case the one I RMA'd really is crapped out. I might try running the 400w PSU he gave me since he also gave me a 20-24pin adapter for it. I'm not sure yet. If not I will pick up the 430w. I know you guys are gonna give me crap about using the Thermaltake PSU's but he has been using them for a long time with no issue and I just want a comp to use since I don't really have one now. The old emachine is being retarded since I moved. Right now I am on a laptop that my brother and I rented for something to use at work. Yes, we have jobs where we can just sit and play on the internet all day.

That's my story lol

Last edited:
Still messing with that RMA? Man they're slow took less than a week with my HDD guess I was lucky. If you end up with that 4000 back try it in the TF 520 with the other problem you had I'll bet that the temps and everything else were caused by a bad motherboard. if that PSU is old enough to need an adapter you might want to go with something new. The EVGA 7600 GT is a pretty good card I'm happy with mine. the TF 520 overclocks fairly well I've had my X2 4800 up to 3.1 stable but can't seem to get it stable any higher. There seems to be a wall at 250mhz bus speed might be my CPU not the board.If you are going to overclock update the BIOS so that you have the memory settings for CAS Latency and Command Rate.

Yeah, they are slow with it and the whole crap with the cpu is irritating. I wish they would hurry and email me back or whatever. That free PSU does have 18a on the 12v rail and should run the 7600gt. I kinda wanna test it out before I put it in a rig. My brother has a multimeter laying around but I haven't the foggiest how to use it lol

blackersabbath said:
The Biostar Utility was reading 50c idle.

Since I believe I recommended the 7025 to you I must point out that reading is not accurate... I also believe there is a bios update to fix the issue. Mine reads similarly with an Ultra-120 mounted on the chip, there's no way a cpu is going to idle @ 50C w/an Ultra-120 strapped on.

Also, 18a total on the 12v rail isn't a lot... sure that's not 18a per 12v rail. I assume it's at least a dual-12v rail psu.

The 7600 specs say 350watts with 18a minimum so you should OK, but I'd be worried with it being an older PSU. There really isn't a good way to test without having it in a computer to put a load on it.

I could see if my brother's wife will let me install it in her computer and run prime95 or something on it.

Update on the RMA: I just got done talking with a CSR from newegg and they are shipping the cpu back to me tomorrow. If it is really messed up I am going to be having words with UPS.

Another update: I talked to them again to find out how exactly the cpu is damaged and they say that it looks like I put the cpu in the socket wrong which is BS but whatever. I will be having UPS replace the cpu due to them having damaged it. I know that I didn't put the cpu in the socket wrong.

Last edited:
I think its fine. and thats good the RMA went through like harlam357 said bout the mobo mis- reading the temp. and as u pointed out my room mate got almost the same crap as u and its fast. That G.Skill is the only thing that does not play with that 7025 mobo. other than a few minor problems I think its a bad *** mobo for the money.

good luck on the build. and the thing bout u getting kicked out really didnt need to know that but it makes a good story. lol :p

Back