• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help Need with BOINC client d/l for Ubuntu 6.10

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Adak

I'm trying to bring over my Ubuntu C2D's to Seti, to join in the Gauntlet,

BUT

I can't find any mention in the Synaptic Package Manager of BOINC. I'm still using 6.10 "Edgy Eft" version.

I found the Boinc client d/l website, but I've also read it's more trouble than just getting the client from the package manager. I'm not too familiar with linux, so that has a higher pucker factor. :)

I've done all the updates for "Edgy Eft" just now, but still have no listing for BOINC in the packages available.

What do you recommend? Is there a Synaptic Package d/l for Edgy Eft?

Edit: Need Help, Help Need, so much for English classes!

I could update to Feisty Fawn or whatever the latest version is, but that will take many hours to d/l the 600+Megs of data and install. I don't want to wait.

Last edited:
I have just run into the same thing. It isn't in that manager.

Excuse me for shouting, but ...
I have 3 E6600s I'll change over to SETI right now if someone will tell us how!!!

I'm trying to bring over my Ubuntu C2D's to Seti, to join in the Gauntlet,

BUT

I can't find any mention in the Synaptic Package Manager of BOINC. I'm still using 6.10 "Edgy Eft" version.

I found the Boinc client d/l website, but I've also read it's more trouble than just getting the client from the package manager. I'm not too familiar with linux, so that has a higher pucker factor. :)

I've done all the updates for "Edgy Eft" just now, but still have no listing for BOINC in the packages available.

What do you recommend? Is there a Synaptic Package d/l for Edgy Eft?

Edit: Need Help, Help Need, so much for English classes!

I could update to Feisty Fawn or whatever the latest version is, but that will take many hours to d/l the 600+Megs of data and install. I don't want to wait.

O.k., you downloaded the boinc_x.xx.x-pc-linux-gnu.sh from here and put it in a folder you created on the desktop(eg: /home/hrsetrdr/Desktop/SETI)

and then you:

Code:
sudo apt-get update

now you need to:
Code:
sudo apt-get install boinc-client boinc-manager

Once that's done, you need to cd to the directory
Code:
cd /home/hrsetrdr/Desktop/SETI
where you downloaded the boinc_5.10.21i686-pc-linux-gnu.sh shell script. Once there, type(in terminal)

Code:
boincmgr

Once the shell script initiates, you'll see the Boinc Manager, where you can then follow the props for your account info, project type and team.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for the info. I've been trying to do this non-stop for the last 4 hours.

I couldn't get your sudo command lines to work. When you don't really know linux, there's always *something*:

It's like complaints about hair, it's too:

short, long, thick, thin, dark, light, shiny, dull, wimpy, frizzy

I guess one problem was I wasn't "root" enough. I kept signing in w/ my root password, but Ubuntu keeps signing me out in jig time, I guess.

I found a good page that helped me out:
http://boinc-wiki.ath.cx/index.php?title=Installing_The_BOINC_Client_Software_on_Linux

It has some old info from the older BOINC clients, but it worked for me.

:bang head: :bang head: :bang head:

Back