• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

$500 Budget Gamer Upgrade Article

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

velocicaur

Registered
I found this article while looking on firingsquad and I thought it was pretty interesting. I was wondering if anyone else had seen it and what do you think about it? My computer is lacking the punch that it used to, and I'd really like to play some of the new games. I was thinking about following this article pretty closely in my upgrade. Any thoughts or opinions on it?

Thanks!

It just looks like an add for ZZF if you ask me.
But you can (like 99% likely) get a decent $500 rig if you shop around and buy used items.

Yeah definetly a great article, some things though, IIRC they didn't list the HDD, CD drive and PSU. Most people have an extra HDD and CD drive, but with the power consumption of the high end video cards be careful about using a cheap PSU.
also, what sucks is the 8800GT and the 3870 (not mentioned, just slightly slower, but also cheaper) are very hard to find right now.
I just posted a gaming build setup, this article follows the advice pretty good, and even though it's not an Intel build with the high powered GPU, it'll be a nice rig.

Back