• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2600k to 5600x not really an upgrade for GTX 1080

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pinky33

So I started to have a few issues running some games and thought my CPU was bottlenecking my GPU a little. I read around for a while and was thinking a 10-20% improvement in gaming. Maybe not much more peak FPS, but a big bump in min and some gain in average FPS. I do game at 1440. After running some before and after benchmarks I am starting to think I wasted $500 on a new mobo/proc/ram.

heaven 4.0 actually came out with a lower score, but by a very small amount. Within margin of error.

3dmark demo increase by a VERY little bit, but not as much as I was thinking.

3dmark overall 6316 to 7500
gpu 7174 to 7417
cpu 3765 to 8009

All I can think of is my 2600k was @ 4.7ghz so I basically did a side grade upgrade. I spent $500 on upgrade, had I used $500 + what I could sell my 1080 for I might have been able to score a 3060ti, but that's not much of an upgrade either.

I guess I should have just waited another year. I was getting very tired of waiting and waiting. I wont spend $1k on a gfx card though!

Thoughts? Feels like I wasted $500.

Well.... you play games at what amounts to a GPU bound resolution so I'm not terribly surprised. But since you don't play heaven and 3dmark, I'd test in games you play (with integrated benchmarks) before passing judgement. The difference between a 2600k and 5000 series amd is significant as your cpu score shows. That may not translate well in synthetics. A 4.7 ghz sandy lake is nothing compared to a bone stock 5000 series.

Your goal when doing this was to support a better gpu in the future and you've done that. At 1440p I wouldn't expect much increase, however.

Have you enabled PBO for the CPU & set the RAM XMP? Those should help to some point with overall system performance.

I played one round of deep rock and it deep feel a lot better. No stutter or dips. Time will tell as I play more and different games.

It took a while to get xmp working correctly, but yes it is.

I need to learn a out this PBO. Public Boiling Option, Purple Green Orange, Pleasant Bubbles Organized, Please Blame other.

Thanks and will check it out.

This cpu runs cool. Have no way to hook up old apogee water block so using stock heatsink. Even after running all benchies it never went above 70c.

I played one round of deep rock and it deep feel a lot better. No stutter or dips. Time will tell as I play more and different games.

I need to learn a out this PBO. Public Boiling Option, Purple Green Orange, Pleasant Bubbles Organized, Please Blame other.

This cpu runs cool. Have no way to hook up old apogee water block so using stock heatsink. Even after running all benchies it never went above 70c.
Yes, it is exactly all of those. Good ones! :D

Precision Boost Overdrive is an automated overclocking in Ryzen CPUs. It can boost one, two, or all cores depending on available power (watts & amps) and temperature. Google led me to a youtuber demonstrating how to enable it in my BIOS (Gigabyte X570 Aorus). You can probably find someone doing that with your motherboard too.

I was able to use my Apogee XL water block by drilling new holes into the mounting plate. It had an AM4 plate available at one point, but it seems to be permanently out of stock.

Well, if the ole' butt-dyno feels better... then it is. :)

The stock cooler will be adequate... however testing in a GPU benchmark really doesn't tickle the CPU. You should use a proper stress test to check that out. :)

It was on auto, changed it to "ON" As soon as I googled it I was like oh ya! I remember when they announced this and my first thought was another auto overclocker that is crap. Then all the reviews came out and it really worked making our OCing jobs a thing of the past. happy/sad face.

re ran 3dmark, gained a few points

gpu 7526
cpu 8399

My cpu temps hit 71c last time and 78c this time. From what I read these temps are pretty good for stock heatsink. According my HWMonitor my peak Mhz on the cores all maxed at 4649Mhz. Which I believe was the same as last time. I need to run prime95 sometime. Maybe tonight, its so nice out I am going for a bike ride with kids.

I found some 3d printing adapters for am4 for other water blocks I think I can modify to make work. My friend gave me his old 3d printer so this will be perfect time to figure it out. Although from the looks of it running fans on a rad and a pump would make more noise than the stock heatsink and not make much if any performance gains in gaming. I am all for water-cooling and modding, but if the end result is 2% gains for 20 hours of work.......

thank you both and if you can think of anything else thats worth squeezing more more fps out of this rig. I should look into overclocking my 1080 again. It is an evga that is OCed already. I know when I OCed with my old rig the temp/noise was not worth it, but maybe my cpu was bottlenecking more..... Need to find that balance. Also need to learn more about the 1:1 ratio people say is important with RAM/cpu. Will google/youtube search some settings for msi mobo builds.

Thanks again.

-Pinky.

Back