• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

upgrading laptop proc question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wasp9166

thought id get more responses here, i have a toshiba laptop with a 1.5 mobile celeron, well my girl does, anyway, toshiba says this proc is not upgradeable, they also told me 512 ram is the most it can take , which is pretty lame..........if i were to try a higher speed proc what would happen? how high could i try? and also, how do i know what socket it is, or are all mobile celerons same socket? it is under one of the ram cards with a vinyl jacket wrapped around it, i assume this is to protect it , it presses straight down into socket which is on underneath left hand side of proc, and it has a 3 or 4 pin connection on right side.............

can you download cpuz,www.cpuid.com and post the motherboard tab in a ss?
as well what is the model of the cpu. some mobile proc are soldered in so it is possible you cant upgrade it... though i highly dought this is the case, as the soldered ones are used for low power system, IE ULV cpus from intel.

well it seems im wrong, what i thought was the proc under one of the ram sticks via the removable panel on back is actually the internal modem, i guess i would have to take it completely apart to get to proc....................

Last edited:
It uses the Northwood. My old Toshiba Satellite laptop (A45-S121) had a 2.8GHz Northwood in it.

I would say that the motherboard will support any of the Northwood series...but I don't take responsibility in buying it and having it not work.

Try posting in the Toshiba community support forums.

well i could probably get it pretty cheap so i understand its a gamble, it wont do any damge it just wont boot right? should i take it apart and make sure cpu is removable first?

It's a 400FSB chipset and screenshots are easier o.o...

Print Screen > Paint > Paste > Save > Upload.

ill open her up and see if the cpu is removable, go from there, if it is, how big of a jump should i try? im thinking 1.5 to 2.7 is bound to not work, does heat become a problem ?

i must be missing something, i for the life of me cant get this laptop open, all screws from underneath out and it still wont pry apart..........mmmmm

check the manuals for that laptop, i found instructions for taking apart a dell lappy online. there are prolly some screw below the LCD panel where the hing is.

got it, looks soldered to me , what ya think? wouldnt budge didnt wana force it,
didnt take mb out and flip it over tho....................

blue = chipset
red = cpu
yellow i= how the heat from the cpu is sucked out.
pb290002vk2.jpg

Back