• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2900XT on DFI NF4 Expert, Please help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

klear

Just got this card and I'm trying to install it, but the chipset heatsink's edge sticks out just a little bit and i think its preventing my 2900 from seating properly. I have the HR-03 on it so the graphics card heatsink doesn't hit it, just the PCB.

Cutting the edge off of the chipset heatsink seems to be the only thing I can think of to get this card to seat properly...

Anyone have any other ideas??

I got the card installed, however in windows I have small artifacts and the monitor loses signal every so often. I put my x1950 pro back in and everything was fine, then tried the 2900xt again but still have the same problem, however its about half as bad as it was.

is this card damaged?

Check the area it was hitting, you might have caused some damage to the card but given the monitor signal, I think it's still not seating correctly. How did you get around the conflict?

If you didn't cut, I'd recommend cutting it to ensure that it is not rubbing and you can get a proper seat. OR if you're able, see if you have anything you can substitute on the chipsets heatsink just to test and see if you get any artifacts.

Lastly, are the artifacts only in windows or do you get them booting as well?

I have 2 monitors, a soyo 24'' and a samsung 19'' --

Alright, i've done a bunch of switching around and apparently the artifacts only happen when using the DVI cable, the VGA cable works fine on the soyo 24''

but i gets a little more tricky...

The DVI cable is currently hooked up to the samsung without any problem, if i swap them, the soyo throws artifacts.

digging deeper the DVI cable works fine on the soyo 24'' when i have my x1950 pro in the machine........

Should I exchange the monitor? i'm so confused :(

If you swap them with the comp loaded, it's probably not switching resolutions, refresh rate, etc. try booting up with the DVI hooked up to the SOYO and or adjusting resolutions, etc with it hooked up via the DVI. If the monitor works fine on dvi with a card, it can't be the monitor. What kind of artifacts are you getting?

its a mix of small dots to horizontal lines of inverted colors -- it only happens in windows, not bios or loading or welcome screen, only on the desktop.

narrowed it down to resolutions of 1680x1050 or greater cause artifacts on windows desktop if i use DVI... I bought this card pre-flashed so I don't have any experience with that.

really not sure what I should even do from here....

Yo, sorry your having problems with the card klear... I've got the info for flashing the card back, but I have to locate a bios for you.

I used the card with my Dell 2407WFP @ 1920x1200 for a good solid month (while the card was flashed) and aside from the known flashing texture problems in crysis, the card never produced artifacts. I play games pretty regularly too.

Try installing the cooler that came with it. If it produces artifacts after you use the stock cooler than we'll talk about refunds and such.

After looking at a few pics online of the HR-03 and the cooling it provides... while your core is covered completely, I have to wonder if the memory is getting cooled as much as it did with the stock cooler.

While I had the card, the fan would always be on 100% during any gaming session and it would get HOT. I could put my hand behind my case and feel the hot air the cooler was pushing out. I would imagine that your memory needs additional cooling.

Back