• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dmans X-mas gift to himself.. X360 need some help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

deathman20

High Speed Premium Senior
Alrighty im getting a X360 for X-mas.. well getting a bit of money from a few peeps to help me pay for it then nabbing it. Finally :)

Anyways I'm going for the premium model so I'll get the 2 free games with it. As for other things im picking up Halo 3 and Mass Effect as well.

But now the tricky part need help with a few accessories...
I know it comes with if not mistaken component cables and the audio RCA cables.

#1 and the most important one of all, I'll be using this on my PC monitor since its the only high def one I have. Its one of the original 24" Dell 2405FPW monitors just not the backlight bleading ones. I know I heard something with an issue being using component cables on it, would this be an issue for the Xbox360 using it as the main monitor? If not surely the DVI or VGA kit will work for me.

#2 battery pack for wireless controller... now whats the best? most i've been seeing is NiMH batteries are there lithiaum ones? It comes with one but might pick up another controller right away or might hold off.

So I got options..
The Combo
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8285465&type=product&id=1171672223954
The Cheaper Combo buying 2 seperatly
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8267733&type=product&id=1170290207456
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8267644&type=product&id=1170290207067

Or getting this 2 bat rechargers
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8514057&type=product&id=1186006783550

Going to pick some stuff up early before I can pick up the actual unit itself so trying to get ideas here of what to nab earlier and surely some of da local experts here can help me out quick :)

BTW trying to get nearly everything at bestbuy since well I got reward zone so will get some money back. Might pick up Halo 3 used if its cheaper at like EBGames or Gamestop now used.

Eh, I use AAs in all of my controllers and it's fine. I just pause and swap em out whenever I run out of juice.

It's taken me about 20 hours to kill the batteries with rumble and everything on.

Eh, I use AAs in all of my controllers and it's fine. I just pause and swap em out whenever I run out of juice.

It's taken me about 20 hours to kill the batteries with rumble and everything on.

I don't have time for AAs. I suppose if you had rechargeables... then again why wouldn't you just get the battery pack and plug it into the 360 when you needed it to charge?

The microsoft battery pack has been very kind to me. I remember asking the guy at the store if it was worth it. He assured me it was and he wasn't wrong. They've since been on sale since then many many times for 9.99.

SOOOOOOO many people getting 360s recently.

I'll have to look into Mass Effect when my Crucial rebate finally comes in...

The 360 charging packs are nice, they charge via USB on your 360 or PC. If you already own a battery charger for AAs like the Energizer e3s then I'd just get another pack of rechargable AA batteries as they take only 15 minutes as opposed to a couple of hours.

I'm not familiar with you monitor but if it supports component you should be fine, if not then just get an HDMI to DVI adapter for $5 rather than spending a bunch on a VGA cable.

Eh, my controllers ate through AA's.
Definitely get the charge packs it made my life alot easier, especially at friends houses--all I have to do is grab one of their charge cables or bring mine.

Avoid the MadCatz battery packs. I got some (my wife's cousin threw them in for free when I bought his 360 off him last year), but they didn't recharge worth a damn.

I just use AA's now. When I get some extra cash, I may just buy a better set. AA's get annoying. They run out on you in the middle of a game, then you go looking for more and realize you don't have any. Then you end up stealing some out of the TV remote, or the stereo remote, or another controller. It sucks. :p

Get the official 360 battery packs, they will serve you well. Are you going to get Xbox Live also? Let me know if you do, I'm going to join it again soon. :)

Not sure about Xbox live. I might try it here and there but first priority is to get it, then worry about gaming online :)

So official battery pack it be. I can always have AA laying around but rather have rechargables cheaper in the long run. Cool

So anyone know anything about the monitor and its capibilites? Might just have to ask in the display section to get a more stright forward answer.

I noticed you were looking at the Premium as well as the Xbox 360 Wireless Controller and Play & Charge Kit for an additional $70. The Halo 3 edition is the same as the Premium and it comes with the Charge Kit. I bought mine from Target when they were running the deal for $399 with Halo 3 and a $60 Target gift card. If you can hold out a little while I would see if they run that deal again.

Plus the Halo 3 edition looks so cool.

I noticed you were looking at the Premium as well as the Xbox 360 Wireless Controller and Play & Charge Kit for an additional $70. The Halo 3 edition is the same as the Premium and it comes with the Charge Kit. I bought mine from Target when they were running the deal for $399 with Halo 3 and a $60 Target gift card. If you can hold out a little while I would see if they run that deal again.

Plus the Halo 3 edition looks so cool.

Well I might get that one since well.... I went to BB today to nab at least a few items... Halo 3 and Mass Effect :) just to get those out of the way and a play and charge kit.

So the Halo 3 edition comes with a play&charge kit anything else other than that? If thats the case I might consider it, dependin on if I can't find a premium edition which suprisingly wasn't at the BB store I went to.

I brought a external cooler and had it installed since day one. I personally think it helps with longevity of the unit.

premium is $350 and halo 3 is $399. how i looked at it a play and charge kit was $20 at the most when i saw it. So if i was going to get halo 3 edition which DOESN'T come with halo 3 the game i was paying an extra $20 for the play and charge kit and a extra $20 for a greensih color. If you like the green then more power to ya, but as a value deal the Halo 3 edition isn;t worth it, you can get 2 play and charge kits for the same price.

I just got a 360 too bought it on nov. 16th so all the prices were lower.

Halo 3 edition comes with a headset as well too as well but since im not really going to play online much eh not sure on that. Still got what like 23 days nearly 22 to figure out what I'll get just wanted some inputs on it :)

Back