• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Swapfile

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

oakfn

Registered
I was wondering i have around 2.7 of ram in my virtial memory should i have no page file? or system managed? if custom what min and max?

thanks

You want a page file. Nearly every program is written assuming that there is going to be a page file and would choke if none existed, even if you didn't have all your ram full.

Generally, it should be about 1.5 to 2-3x as big as your physical ram...

but if you can stick it on a seperate drive from ur most frequently used programs and OS...unless its a slower drive

I usually create a partition for my swap file and then set min/max to the same size. U I've been using 2gb fixed size recently. Fragmentation of the swap file is the biggest killer, and it usually can't be defragged since it is a locked system file. So if nothing else set a static size. Using a dedicated partition ensures its clean file space and the file isnt fragmented when first created. I ususally move my Temp folders to that partition too, after I create the swap.

i recently upgraded to 4gb ram and have been searching for information about optimum size as well...
i do a lot of sampler heavy music production so often i will use alot of ram.

i cant see how setting it to over 4gb would ever be useful as xp32bit only can address 4gb ram max.

will setting it to anything lower than 4gb adversely affect performance?

Back