• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Q6600 question from someone back in the game...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SkyFire47

Registered
so it's time for me to upgrade as it's been awhile. (see sig for current rig) and enough has changed that i want to make sure i know what i'm getting these days. i've read around and i don't plan on waiting till Feb. or March for the new Intels so it looks like i'm going with the Q6600 at the moment.

here's a list of what i'm currently thinking of going with. if anyone has any suggestions or similar builds please let me know what you have and what you can overclock to. i do plan on oc'ing this rig. to around 3.2-3.6 if possible

Case: Antec900
CPU: Q6600 <--- how can i tell what stepping i'm getting? B3 or G0
cooling: TRUE (a bit pricey but it sounds like it's worth it)
Mobo: Abit IP35 PRO
PSU: Corsair HX520

for memory - i want to go 2x2gb (unless this severely limits oc'ing) but i'm not sure what brand i should get. as far as i've gotten, getting DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) should be good if i plan on going for a 400fsb (if possible) x 9x multiplier for a possible 3.6 in my rig. if i don't hit 3.6 that's cool too but i want to make sure i have head room in case the chip can do it.

sorry if this seems like i haven't read around the boards too much these days but i really want to be sure before i make the buy in the next couple of days.

thanks in advance for any comments and/or info shared.

Last edited:
Excellent choices for MB, CPU & HS(F)...don't forget you need a good fan! ;)

Clubit has guaranteed G0 Q6600s. Newegg should be all G0's but it's not guaranteed, so basically it's a crap shoot. You definitely don't want a B3...generally don't OC as well and are much hotter.

Someone may correct me on this one, but here goes. AFAIK, running two sticks, even if 2Gb/each is key to OC'ing. i.e. 4x1G would limit you much more than 2x2G. The strain four sticks puts on the NB is not good and causes you to increase voltage and run hotter. Four gigs may cause a bump in voltage as well, but not as much as four sticks. You're on the right path there.

If you're going for speed and have some cash to spend, you may want to consider PC-8000 or PC-8500 RAM. You won't get the timings of PC-6400 but the speed you can run it at will offset and may overtake it.

Well, that's all I've got. If you run into troubles, this and the abit forums are great resources. Good luck & let us know how it goes!

I just got a G0 from the Egg OEM (new) version shipped from Tennessee. It easily walked up to 3192 at 1.3V ram at 850. I hope to get about 3.4 from it but it's anyones guess if it will get there easy. Sink is a Ninja and 1 ducted 120mm exhaust, 1 90mm blowing in from the CD cage. Running 54-55C per CPUID HWMonitor, 52C pere Gigabyte easytune.

Excellent choices for MB, CPU & HS(F)...don't forget you need a good fan! ;)

Clubit has guaranteed G0 Q6600s. Newegg should be all G0's but it's not guaranteed, so basically it's a crap shoot. You definitely don't want a B3...generally don't OC as well and are much hotter.

thanks for the ClubIT linky. will probably order from there in the next few days after i decide on the last few components. anyone else have any thoughts on the best memory to get?

UPDATE - think i'm going with the Corsair HX520 for the PSU.

FYI, this is a very rare issue, but you should know before buying. The Corsair HX series PSUs can have an incompatibility with the IP35 series boards.

Generally RMA'ing either the PSU or the MB will fix the problem. Both parts are fine, just in a few cases they don't like each other. Both Corsair and abit have worked on the issue and neither can find what the root cause is.

I'm not saying don't buy the Corsair, just letting you know about the possible, however unlikely, problem.

FYI, this is a very rare issue, but you should know before buying. The Corsair HX series PSUs can have an incompatibility with the IP35 series boards.

Generally RMA'ing either the PSU or the MB will fix the problem. Both parts are fine, just in a few cases they don't like each other. Both Corsair and abit have worked on the issue and neither can find what the root cause is.

I'm not saying don't buy the Corsair, just letting you know about the possible, however unlikely, problem.

thanks for the heads up. i was debating between the HX520 or the VX550 but opted for the 520 due to cable management. i'll take another look at the 550 too i guess.

OCZ Stealth stream jams with IP35 and Q6600 2nd Best PSU Ive had 1st being PC-PnC. Corsair is my alternate it it fits my need. FSP I use for other rigs. All have been great.

I just got a G0 from the Egg OEM (new) version shipped from Tennessee. It easily walked up to 3192 at 1.3V ram at 850. I hope to get about 3.4 from it but it's anyones guess if it will get there easy. Sink is a Ninja and 1 ducted 120mm exhaust, 1 90mm blowing in from the CD cage. Running 54-55C per CPUID HWMonitor, 52C pere Gigabyte easytune.

I was at 3.2Ghz on stock cooling (full load I was seeing about 68c, 70c when loaded for long periods), so with your HSF you should definitely be able to hit 3.4, probably more. Remember guys, these G0's are rated for 71c, so as long as you keep it below that then you're good to go. Don't be afraid to up that voltage. At 3.6 most of these G0's need anywhere between 1.40 to 1.45v vcore. I was on a Scythe Infinity when I was @ 3.6Ghz on air and it was more than enough to cool it.

I just ordered a Q6600 OEM from the EGG. Hope it's the GO!!! The pic shows a SLACR version so we will see. I will use a Tuniq T120 to cool it on a GA-P35-DS3L board with 2 x 1gb G.skill DDR2 800 in an Antec 900 with PCP&P Silencer 610. Not to hijack the thread but I'm excited about it.

so it's time for me to upgrade as it's been awhile. (see sig for current rig) and enough has changed that i want to make sure i know what i'm getting these days. i've read around and i don't plan on waiting till Feb. or March for the new Intels so it looks like i'm going with the Q6600 at the moment.

here's a list of what i'm currently thinking of going with. if anyone has any suggestions or similar builds please let me know what you have and what you can overclock to. i do plan on oc'ing this rig. to around 3.2-3.6 if possible

Case: Antec900
CPU: Q6600 <--- how can i tell what stepping i'm getting? B3 or G0
cooling: TRUE (a bit pricey but it sounds like it's worth it)
Mobo: Abit IP35 PRO
PSU: Corsair HX520

for memory - i want to go 2x2gb (unless this severely limits oc'ing) but i'm not sure what brand i should get. as far as i've gotten, getting DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) should be good if i plan on going for a 400fsb (if possible) x 9x multiplier for a possible 3.6 in my rig. if i don't hit 3.6 that's cool too but i want to make sure i have head room in case the chip can do it.

sorry if this seems like i haven't read around the boards too much these days but i really want to be sure before i make the buy in the next couple of days.

thanks in advance for any comments and/or info shared.

I recently got the same mobo and case as you. Both are fantastic but theres a couple things you should know about using them together.

1) The way the mobo is layed out the SATA connectors come right up against the bottom 6 5.25 cages. I only use 2 of the SATA connectors, but if you want to use 4 to 6 of them it might be tough on the connections because the way they come up against the cages.

2) Large graphics cards make the SATA connection area even more cramped. I have the 8800GT from PNY and it is a bit snug in that area preventing a tad of air flow from the top intake fan.

3) The HDD Light / PWRSW / RESETSW pin connectors are a little short and can be a tiny bit taught when connected to the Mobo. Same with the Firewire/USB/audio connections for the front. This isn't that big of a deal but I wish they were a tad larger.

Overall you really cannot beat the Abit P35-Pro for the price and its overclocking ability, plus the UGURU application is awesome, I hope they keep developing this so the average overclocker doesn't need to run 4 3rd party programs to do what a mobo program should.

The antec 900 case is just a beast if you plan on overclocking on air. There was a post somewhere here about someone getting their E6750 to 3.9GHz on air alone with this case at a reasonable temp.

I highly recommend both but be aware of the minor issues I listed above.

I recently got the same mobo and case as you. Both are fantastic but theres a couple things you should know about using them together.

1) The way the mobo is layed out the SATA connectors come right up against the bottom 6 5.25 cages. I only use 2 of the SATA connectors, but if you want to use 4 to 6 of them it might be tough on the connections because the way they come up against the cages.

2) Large graphics cards make the SATA connection area even more cramped. I have the 8800GT from PNY and it is a bit snug in that area preventing a tad of air flow from the top intake fan.

3) The HDD Light / PWRSW / RESETSW pin connectors are a little short and can be a tiny bit taught when connected to the Mobo. Same with the Firewire/USB/audio connections for the front. This isn't that big of a deal but I wish they were a tad larger.

Overall you really cannot beat the Abit P35-Pro for the price and its overclocking ability, plus the UGURU application is awesome, I hope they keep developing this so the average overclocker doesn't need to run 4 3rd party programs to do what a mobo program should.

The antec 900 case is just a beast if you plan on overclocking on air. There was a post somewhere here about someone getting their E6750 to 3.9GHz on air alone with this case at a reasonable temp.

I highly recommend both but be aware of the minor issues I listed above.

thanks for the heads up. i will keep it mind. my only alternative was a Gigabyte GA-P35 series mobo but not sure which one to get as there seem to be many versions of on the egg.

that aside, memory seems to be the most difficult choice for me as there are none in particular that stand out. anyone with a similar setup have any suggestions. i'm looking at either corsair (xms2 or dominators) and crucial ballistix so far but again, looking for a possible 2x2gb combo if i can go that route...

Back