• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

E6600 vs E6750

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jhawkmike

I can't figure this out. I'm comparing the specs of these two Intel CPUs at NewEgg.com, and the E6750 seems to be the superior processor. However, the E6600 costs $45 more. Am I missing something?

Thanks

Its mainly the multiplier. Intel charges more for higher multipliers. Also for whatever reason when a processor is replaced it doesn't really drop in price for quite a while.

the E6600 has been discontinued thus prices are not going to change on it really.

The E6750 is definetly a nice cpu great bang for da buck.

A multiplier is essientally what the cpu uses to get its frequency... the E6750 is a 2.66ghz cpu with a 333fsb (quad pumped to 1333fsb)

2660mhz / 333 = 8 so the multiplier is 8x, if your ran the E6750 at 400fsb you would get a cpu clock of 3200mhz. 400x8

Thanks... that explains it. I had always thought that the higher the FSB speed, the better. But I see that's not necessarily the case. So the e6750 is faster out of the box, but the E6600 has greater potential speed. I don't plan to overclock for now, so the E6750 is definitely the better deal for me.

From what I've seen, some motherboards don't like super high FSB's.

So for example you'd probably get a better overclock if you were to:

9x400

as opposed to

8x450

Both give you the same overall speed of 3.6ghz, but it is easier to obtain with the higher multiplier. But like the previous poster mentioned, higher multipliers = way more money.

(The chips with an X by them mean they have un-locked multipliers meaning you can set it to whatever you want, you'll also pay over 1000$ for those high end chips. ex QX6700)

The moral of the story with the E6600 vs E6750 is that the E6750 overclocks the same or higher than the E6600 for less money.

I picked it up because you really will not find a better intel chip in regards to performance / price.

IMO the E6750 has way higher oc potential than a e6600 granted you have a newer (965, p35, x38) mobo cus its a G0 steping... although some of the very early E6600's (like mine) clocked VERY good, i have gotten mine to 4ghz on air, stable long nuf for several super pi 1m runs, cpuz screenies, uploading cpuz validation and posting in the 4ghz c2d section. Currently im sitting at 3.0ghz @ .125v undervolt (1.325v is stock, and i have it set to 1.200)

Definetly get the E6750 over the E6600 (unless you can get a deal on the E6600)

I have big love for my E6600 3.6ghz on 1.475v is not too shabby imo and it is as solid as a granite block. In my case the E6750 would be a pain because the 8X multiplier would mean i could no longer just sit at 400fsb for 1:1 ratio with my memory and even though i know i have headroom on my ram i would prefer to run stock atm as ive had some bad luck with dying ram sticks lately.

I've also gotten my e6600 to 3.6.

I think they will overclock the same or the e6750 a little higher, but you will need a higher FSB to get the e6750 to the same speed at the e6600. Like 4G...

E6600 = FSB-444
E6750 = FSB-500

Some boards may have trouble getting that... If you have a good P35 or an X38 you should be golden though...

Oh, that will also force your RAM to a higher speed, DDR890 and DDR1000, if your RAM can't handle it you might be SOL....

Thanks... that explains it. I had always thought that the higher the FSB speed, the better. But I see that's not necessarily the case. So the e6750 is faster out of the box, but the E6600 has greater potential speed. I don't plan to overclock for now, so the E6750 is definitely the better deal for me.

You get what you pay for. A higher multiplier is worth a premium for the E6600.

The e6750 clocks higher and runs cooler despite the slight multi handicap.

If you can wait a few weeks, the e8400 should retire both of these chips.

Edit: I don't think they are intentionally charging more for the higher multi in this case. Sure if you look at the e6750 vs the e6850 then you pay more for the extra multi, but the e6600 is a previous generation, and is no longer being produced. Retailers just don't want to lower the price b/c they will lose money. Eventually somebody (who isn't in the know) will pay the premium, or so the retailers hope.

There's a reason e6600's are still on the shelves after being discontinued over 6 months ago. The e6750's are just a better chip at a better price.

Back