• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Flashing the bios.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DerekDRP

Disabled
Flashing the bios. I'm scared to try this. I don't wantto mess anything up.

and I've allmost at 3.0 ghz for running speed but I wouldlike to join the 3.0 ghzer's club.

Anyways how hard is it to flash the bois? And will I hurt my machine? I've never flashed any of my bios before.

posting your motherboard would help.

Most Mobos have sometype of easy flash now so you can dump the bios onto a USB drive and then boot to bios and flash from there

Reset your bios to default, go to asus' website download the bios, put it on a flash drive hit alt f2 then load the bios and restart lol. its simple, very low chance to mess it up. just make sure it does not affect the raid controller. (if you have raid)

Derek, make a new thread, post all your settings and specs and we'll help you, flashing a BIOS will not overclock your CPU.

Reset your bios to default, go to asus' website download the bios, put it on a flash drive hit alt f2 then load the bios and restart lol. its simple, very low chance to mess it up. just make sure it does not affect the raid controller. (if you have raid)

What if your USB flash drive is not recognized?
The bad boy (me) used Asus Update and now I get "Bad cemos checksum" but the pc still runs fine but it restarts evrey time I try to shut it off.
I unchecked "automatically restart" in control panel but all that does is give me a blue screen of error messages and locks up so you have to manualy shut it off.

Belongs in General hardware. Please post in the correct forum.

If eZ Flash does not work:
Asus boards are the easiest to flash. Download the BIOS you wish to use from ASUS' website and put it on a USB key. Next, upon boot, hit Del and enter the BIOS. There should be an option called EzFlash or something like that in the last menu. Select that and chose your usb drive from the options. Hit enter twice to get rid of the warning, wait for the flash to complete and reboot only when asked to. You are done!

Hence the problem, folowed every step you and the manual said and in setup I do indeed see the EZflash and I click on it. It shows drive A ( floppy), C (hard drive) and D ( disk drive) but no DRIVE F which is the thumb drive that has just been formatted FAT32 and has the unzipped 402 bios on it.
It did recognize the bios however that was in the Asus support and drivers DVD ROM that came with the motherboard and it did indeed flash from it which had the old 107 bios.
It stated "will reboot in 5 seconds" which it had said on the ASUS UPDATE flash but did excactly the same as before , I waited 15 minuts for it reboot but nada. Just a black screen with the monitor standby lights blinking and the fans never cutting off so I had to manuall shut it off ( not good).
When I turned it back on I am back in windows but after seeing the "cmos checksum bad" again.
I am at a loss.

Last edited:
Hence the problem, folowed every step you and the manual said and in setup I do indeed see the EZflash and I click on it. It shows drive A ( floppy), C (hard drive) and D ( disk drive) but no DRIVE F which is the thumb drive that has just been formatted FAT32 and has the unzipped 402 bios on it.
It did recognize the bios however that was in the Asus support and drivers DVD ROM that came with the motherboard and it did indeed flash from it which had the old 107 bios.
It stated "will reboot in 5 seconds" which it had said on the ASUS UPDATE flash but did excactly the same as before , I waited 15 minuts for it reboot but nada. Just a black screen with the monitor standby lights blinking and the fans never cutting off so I had to manuall shut it off ( not good).
When I turned it back on I am back in windows but after seeing the "cmos checksum bad" again.
I am at a loss.

Galador,

Can you substitute your floppy drive for your USB and do the same if you are having a drive recognition problem?

Belongs in General hardware. Please post in the correct forum.
It is in General Hardware.
Did as you suggested but Drive F ( 2 GB thumb drive which has been formatted FAT32 and had the unzipped 402 bios) shows on My Computer but not on EZ Flash. EZ Flash does recognize drive A, C, and D but no F.

Well, situation resolved ( I think) because now I can shutdown my pc and no more error displayed.
If you asked me how I would be hard pressed to explain because I am not really sure :confused: .

It is in General Hardware.
Did as you suggested but Drive F ( 2 GB thumb drive which has been formatted FAT32 and had the unzipped 402 bios) shows on My Computer but not on EZ Flash. EZ Flash does recognize drive A, C, and D but no F.

That is because I moved it here. ;)

I'm confused, did eZ flash fail you or did the BIOS method fail you?

Back