• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

mmmm, the sweet smell of burning electronics

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

madman22

I had ordered some new parts to go with the new system i built:

MSI K9A2 CF (bad idea, stay away from these if you want to OC)
X2 4000+
2gb Gskill DDR2
SATA DVD burner

along with my 500gb and 120gb SATA drives

i got those parts working great with the stock hsf, but i decided i needed some more stuff. i got some cold cathodes, some EL wire and a Scythe Infinity all from xoxide.

I started fishing all the wire carefully, better than i ever have in any other system i built. I got everything in the place i wanted it so i thought i'd start 'er up. First button press, no go. Powers all connected; oh the power switch is off, duh. Next button press everything starts up: fans, lights, temp monitor. The only thing that was out of place was the EL wire i had fished to the front of the case; it was flickering.

Then i see the smoke. I went for the power cord but before i could i heard a LOUD POP. Then i hear plastic bouncing around hitting other stuff.

My heart sunk. I had heard a lot of other stories where this motherboard's MOSFETS burn. Turns out it wasnt the mobo though, it was the EL wire. The plastic case that housed the electronics to it was blown apart and a cap was completely destroyed.

The first time i started everything back up without the EL wire, none of the USB ports on the case or the mobo worked, neither did any of my drives. After a while of fooling around, i got everything working again except my DVD burner. It was connected through the EL wire power connector. I think its fried, but im going to wait to try it in another computer before i contact xoxide.

If its dead do you guys think they will refund me the money i spent on the burner? Or will i have to go through newegg to get an RMA on the burner?

(newegg seems to be down at the moment)

Back