• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just another 4GB thread (°.° )~

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Fhaarkas

Registered
Ahoy matey!

The story begins--one day I, in all ignorance, decided that 2GB of RAM just doesn't cut it. So there I went walking into a nearby store and purchased another pair of TWIN2X2048. Too bad, just seconds upon booting up there she is--the Great Blue Screen of Death. It turned out a lot of people have been having some problem and another with ASUS board + 4x1GB Corsair. Plus, instead of overclocking it, two pairs of XMS2 should be downclocked to work well. Clearly the purchase was a mistake. In addition, it turned out as well that different versions of kit don't get along well. Now that's three headshots. Curse me for losing my internet for a week, and that geeky looking dude at the store for being just as ignorant as I am.

Apology for the lengthy introduction; now I'm thinking of getting a pair of 4GB kit, which upon a brief research around this fora and the Great Net, brought me to G.Skill kit. I have two days to get a refund for the RAM now, and am still wondering if it is the right thing to do getting the 4GB kit. How well will it run with P5K SE? With Vista 32-bit? And XtremeGamer? Should I wait for the 4GB prices to hit rock bottom as well (but I can't)?

The PC8000C5 kits and PC6400C4 kits sold at an outrageous NZD235 over here, so in all probability I'd like to avoid them if possible. The candidate: PC6400C5 (at less outrageous NZD188). How well will it fare? Is it that bad a binned chip? Can it still OC a little more?

Sorry for not sounding I'm doing a research myself, but I'm running out of time and are trying to grab as much info sources as possible. Thanks to all that bother :).

Do u really need 4 gig's seriously? Are you doing some CAD or Massive file conversion or Video editing? If your just running games, I mean Crysis is using less than 800mb on my system & I have 2000mb (2 gigs) Windows is using around 400mb max so thats 1200mb leaving a whopping 800mb free doing nothing except existing, I do some file conversion like vob to avi, mp4 etc and 2 gigs has been plenty for me so far, I think all the 4 gig hype is just that altho if i had extra cash I might buy 4 gigs also HEHE, really consider what your using your pc for and then purchase accordingly if your money conscious that is. Im also running xppro, if your on vista ignore this :)

Also remember that you need to install 64bit OS for the full 4GB to be 'seen'. Some say the 64bit OS's don't run that smooth.

Yeap, I'm very well aware of the 32-bit limitation. I most probably will move to 64-bit Vista very soon, but perhaps after the drivers and stuff mature a bit more. It manages memory better (far better) minus the lack of support. I used XP x64 last time and it was awesome. Here I am ready to brace the impact (>.<). I think for hardcore gaming, Photoshop and perhaps some 3D works in the future, 2GB in Vista really just doesn't cut it.

Any thoughts on when 4GB is gonna make it into the mainstream?

Any thoughts on when 4GB is gonna make it into the mainstream?

a while yet.....2gb has only just become properly mainstream, as in machines other than gaming ones having 2gig now, off the shelf.

2 gig is more than fine for xp. if you plan to game on vista you might think about going above that. btw vista x64 runs smooth as anything else.

I left XP not so long ago and just as everyone else, there's no real reason that one would go back to XP though Vista is just a souped up XP methink. Well, that's what I'm trying to find out. Would 2GB suffice on Vista? I think it's not and I'd love to hear thoughts. It feels like as if you're using XP with 512MB.

Would 2GB suffice on Vista? I think it's not and I'd love to hear thoughts. It feels like as if you're using XP with 512MB.
It sure feels like 2GB isnt enough, i occasionally use a laptop with Vista (dual core and 2GB, 7300GO graphics) and my dads P3 with 448MB RAM and XP is like years ahead in snappiness, so much more responsive for most simple tasks. Take a look at memory usage in Vista, the memory isnt the problem i think, does it use anywhere close to 2GB when its not responding to simple tasks?

No, I caught a glimpse of performance when using 4GB (3.2GB), and the responsiveness is magnitude ahead. The system boots some 10 seconds faster (it should've booted in 10 seconds =.=), fast game loading (followed consequently by a blue screen of course) and the overall system is just more, well, responsive. I think this is quite a well-known fact--that 4GB is Vista's sweet spot. Surely 4GB of RAM won't add any FPS in gaming, but the massive reduction of loading time is enough reason for me to switch.

ram is so cheap right now there's really no reason not to go 4 gig imo. i was gonna upgrade to 4 just by getting two more but i found a high performance set for 30 bucks more than what i was gonna pay. leaving me with an awkward 6 gigs x.O

Back