• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Media Server

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

orion25

Folding in memory of my dads, Tim B. & Mike B.
I have a C2D based computer available and I would like to turn it into a server for some media files. It will mostly hold my AAC/MP3 collection (used on Itunes) and some (read very few) movie files. I would also like to use it for backup of my 64 bit Vista primary computer.

I am currently using a Linksys WRT-54GS router and it is connected to my cable modem and a netgear gigabit switch. My laptop is the only computer using the G connection and I am not really concerned with the laptop connecting to the media server at the moment.

I will be installing a TV Tuner card, or 2, in the server soon and locating it near the plasma in my living room. It will be on a wired connection when I do this!

My question is what OS should I use for the server? It has Ubuntu running on it right now but I will change if necessary. I have Windows 2000, XP Home, and Ubuntu available for free right now (ie. I already own them). I know that the Ubuntu set up can be a *****. Are there any good sites out there that can show me how to make it work with Vista 64? Or should I bite the bullet and go with windows home server?

Depending on the tuners you get, you can keep Ubuntu and use MythTV as a backend server. That would mean that your frontends would be better off running MythTV as well, but not necessarily.

Windows Home Server does not make a good TV server. It's fine for media sharing and whatnot, but not as a recording backend.

If you want to use Vista x64, then I'd go with a HDHomeRun network tuner (digital only, however) as it has appropriate drivers and if the Vista version you have is Media Center equipped, then you can use its extender capabilities or grab WebGuide to control the tuners (and more) over the web (intranet or internet...doesn't matter).

The thing is, when you're wanting a server to act as a PVR, you need to let us know how you plan on setting up those recordings and what you want to use to access them.

Depending on the tuners you get, you can keep Ubuntu and use MythTV as a backend server. That would mean that your frontends would be better off running MythTV as well, but not necessarily.

Windows Home Server does not make a good TV server. It's fine for media sharing and whatnot, but not as a recording backend.

If you want to use Vista x64, then I'd go with a HDHomeRun network tuner (digital only, however) as it has appropriate drivers and if the Vista version you have is Media Center equipped, then you can use its extender capabilities or grab WebGuide to control the tuners (and more) over the web (intranet or internet...doesn't matter).

The thing is, when you're wanting a server to act as a PVR, you need to let us know how you plan on setting up those recordings and what you want to use to access them.

It will not be a PVR. The tuners will just be for when O want to watch TV on it. I have a DVF in the living room that works well.

If it's only to share files and watch the occasional TV show, then Ubuntu, XP Home or Vista would all be fine, so long as you get a compatible tuner. I'd say whatever your preference in an OS is.

Back