• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Say it isn't so ...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mOtH3r_bUrN3R

Registered
So every now and then I re-surface on these boards, looking for the expert opinion of the great minds of OCforums.

It has come time to build another PC. To my dismay, it appears as if they hype of the AMD brand has vanished. I have enjoyed the AMD line of CPUs for years now, however it looks like that time has come to an end.

So, I am here now asking ....

What would you pick if you needed to build a computer today? I am praying there are a few die-hard AMD users who can truly offer me some AMD competition to these new Intel processors I hear people raving about?

So for both sides?
AMD - why? which? when?
Intel - why? which? when?

Pretend money isn't an option and you had your druthers. I am looking to build gaming machines as usual.

burn3r

AMD.

Why? Cheap Which? 5000+ BE or 6400+ When? Whenever

Intel.

Why? Fast Which? E8400 or Q6600 When? Whenever

:)

Simple ... yet elegant.

I can't say cheap is a pushing any techy buttons at this point. How do you feel the AMD is holding up these days?

So every now and then I re-surface on these boards, looking for the expert opinion of the great minds of OCforums.

It has come time to build another PC. To my dismay, it appears as if they hype of the AMD brand has vanished. I have enjoyed the AMD line of CPUs for years now, however it looks like that time has come to an end.

So, I am here now asking ....

What would you pick if you needed to build a computer today? I am praying there are a few die-hard AMD users who can truly offer me some AMD competition to these new Intel processors I hear people raving about?

So for both sides?
AMD - why? which? when?
Intel - why? which? when?

Pretend money isn't an option and you had your druthers. I am looking to build gaming machines as usual.

burn3r

Intel E6750 or Q6600 now why ? they are far better than the AMD line and for about 20 bucks more you get way more bang for your buck . Far better at gaming than any AMD the Q6600 is faster and way better than the Phenom and well Intel is the only way to go if you are a gamer!!
AMD is done for IMHO for the time being that is .

In my opinion, this is the situation...

On paper AMD has a better product and better architechture... but in practice, it appears this is not the case. AMD processors these days do not run as cool or as cheap computing power per watt.

As mentioned, even AMD's top of the line desktop processors will not match Intel at this point. Especially now with Intel beginning to release the new 45nm line, and the increased speed, lower power use, and cooler running that these promise--- and considering AMD's lag in all three of those areas... you'd have to GIVE me the AMD system for me to use it. I'd never pay for it.

Unless you are a diehard fanboy for AMD, or you hate Intel, there's honestly no compelling reason to choose AMD right now.

Thats my opinion.

I say, go buy the Q9XXX series quad core, 4GB of DDR3, an SLI mobo that'll support that.... and if there isn't one... use DDR2 I guess... , 2 8800ULTRAs, Auzen XFI prelude, taco bell chihuahua bobble head, and you're good to go.

Back