• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computer Won't Boot - New Mobo/CPU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xxkmanxx

Registered
so i recenly got a new motherboard and CPU. I got a Asus Maximus Formula and a Intel Core 2 Duo E6750. I set everything up, except the CD Drives cause my old IDE cables got messed up so i have to get that later. I have a problem booting up tho. I set everything up in the bios and everything. I'm also using my old hard drives, which i have Windows XP installed. I didnt change anything with the hard drives. When i boot up everything works. It shows the Windows XP boot screen, then a Blue screen flashes, which i cannot read, cause it goes by too fast, but it looks like an error message, and then the computer restarts. What could be the problem with this? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

thats what i figured, im gonna have to reinstall

but i have another problem. This new motherboard only has 1 IDE Floppy Connection, and 1 IDE Connection for 2 Devices (hard drives).....So i dont see how i'm going to connect my CD Drives. It has SATA connections, but i dont have SATA hard drives or CD Drives. Is there some kind of SATA to IDE adapter or something? or Am i going to have to buy new SATA CD Drives?

Thanks

Reinstalling / performing a fresh install isn't always a necessity after replacing a MB / CPU, which is why I suggested trying a Repair Install first. A clean / fresh install is the preferred method when replacing a board / CPU combo, but sometimes (in fact more times than not) you can get away w/ just a Repair of the current OS.

Yep like stated above, with your new motherboard and CPU there are new chipset drivers needed. Boot into safe mode, remove any existing chipset drivers you may have installed from your previous CPU and motherboard, then do a repair install from the Windows installation disk.

After that make sure you put you install the newer chipset drivers from your motherboard packaging as well.

The repair option will work but a fresh install would be better.
I have never done this but slave the CD drive to the C: hard drive and install or repair XP.
When your done, disconnect the CD drive and replace it with the second hard drive.
There is IDE to SATA adapters available, but for the sake of system speed, I would plane on getting a SATA hard drive. You can, however, get a SATA optical drive if you don't want to mess with another install of XP.

I don't see why you couldn't slave the cd drive on the same channel as the HD. You could buy a new SATA hd or DVD drive too though. You can get a good SATA DVDRW for $30 or a small SATA HD for $50.

Back