• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Resonable Temps for e8400 on TRUE

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tester3000

Ok, so i have a e8400 running with a TRUE cooler. I'm getting 50oC full load with no fan and no exhaust. Now before you tell me to go get a fan, i do have a exhaust fan and a fan on the TRUE. I turned them both off to see how hot the chip would get. BTW its stock (3.0GHz). Are 50oC load temps reasonable when cooling passively with a TRUE? Or are my temps wrong? Thanks.

I used Core Temp and Everest. They both show the same temp. I had it on 100% load for about 10 mins. There was a 120 mm intake fan blowing at the TRUE pretty slow (it's a 1200RPM fan on 5 volts). I could barely feel any air moving through the heatsink though. So it's pretty safe to say that i was running passive.

I find it hard to believe that even a true would keep a loaded 8400 at 50C, even at stock. I tried turning off the fan of my Ultra-120 (not extreme) under load at 4GZ and it thermal throttled in about 3 minutes. Are you sure of those temps? If s, they are great.

With the temp sensor problems in the e8400's no one can be sure,, can they?? Core0 stays stuck on 45oC until the temp actually rises over 45oC, then it changes. Core1 is not stuck at any temp. My idle temp with the TRUE (fans running) is 30oC. I'm using Scythe S-Flex fans @ ~1000RPM for the TRUE and for the exhaust.

Edit:
My PSU has a 120mm fan 1" from the TRUE sucking air up. But it's a really slow fan. I can barely feel any air come out of the back of my PSU.

50c with no fan at load seems pretty good from my perspective. My E8400 at stock speed idles around 23-24 with a TRUE and two YLs on it, but think that's still a little low even though this room is never over 70 degrees and my case has great airflow. I would stress it without my fans on to compare to yours but my Ballistix is on it's last legs and wont let me stress test. I'm getting my new RAM on monday and I can test it then if you're still curious how yours compares.

After 20mins of orthos small fft. Load temp with fans on (1000RPM) is 40oC. I post screens later. Looks like i have a great chip. VID is 1.1125 and batch# is Q745A741. It's a week 45 chip packed on 1/11/08.

Last edited:
Here are my idle and load pics. What do you guys think?? 30oC/40oC Idle/Load sound reasonable or are the sensors lying?

Attachments

• idle temp.PNG
    idle temp.PNG
    39.1 KB · Views: 527
  • stress.PNG
    stress.PNG
    64 KB · Views: 528
You should add 10C to CoreTemp for a more accurate reading, as the TJ. Max on these chips is more like 95C, not 105C. But the core temp diodes are unreliable on these Wolfdale's anyways. The cpu temp is the important one to keep an eye on, not to exceed 74C.

tester,

Your temps are difficult to comment on...because of the variance in the two cores.

Actually Core0 is stuck on 45. So you can just ignore that one. Core0 only changes when the temp goes above 45 (eg. when i turn my fans off)

Your results look comparable to mine. I was using stock speeds with a 80mm weak fan on the TRUE and I never went above 50* under load (2 hours with OCCT). The Q745A chips are a really good batch from what I've seen... pre Q746A are all good OC'ers. After that its a mixed batch. The Q739 are particularly nice.

I still never go above 50* load at 4Ghz but I have a 140mm aercool 45CFM fan on it until my Sanyo D 110CFM monster comes in next week. Then I'm gonna really push this chip and see what it can do. After that I order my LN2pots and get eXtReMe! :attn::attn::attn:

Last edited:
Back