• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need some help with Vista Ultimate

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

deadlysyn

Folding Team Content Editor, Who Dolk'd my stars S
I have been running Vista Ultimate for a few days now, and it had been running smoothly, up until it started telling me there may be a problem with the drive. I ran Seagate Seatools on the HDD, and it passes every test. The last time I tried rebooting, it started to run the check disk. I tried hitting a few buttons on my keyboard to stop it, but it continued on, where it ran overnight, and would not move beyond 80%. I tried booting into safe mode, hoping that I could do Start>Run>cmd.exe>chkntfs /C: d to stop it from trying to run at boot, but I get a freeze right after the crcdisk.sys file shows up during the safe mode boot. Does anyone have any ideas of what I can do to fix this problem? I don't know my way around recovery console at all, but I am willing to try anything to solve this problem. If you need the details of the rig, it is the first one in my sig, the P4 530J.

I had the same problem with Vista Home premium.So i just reinstalled Windows Xp Pro 64 an d im happy again.I dont have time to deal with all the bullcrap Vista throws at me.But im hoping Vista will become a better OS in the next year or so with more updates etc.

This is actually the first time I have had a problem with Vista, and am not looking to go back to XP. It has been running nice and stable until it came up saying there might be a hard drive problem. It passes Seatools tests, but hangs after several hours on on the check disk. I am starting to think a repair install may be in order unless someone has some pointers for me. I am actually posting from a Ubuntu LiveCD right now, as I don't have any ideas to solve this issue. I have tried everything I can think of, and everything I have found in Google searches have been of no help.

Boot to the WinRE (Recovery Environment) Command Prompt following the instructions here...

How to use the Command Prompt in the Vista Windows Recovery Environment
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial147.html

... and run the chkdsk /R C: command from the prompt.

Thanks for that redduc, I had no idea that they made things so much easier in Vista. I was thinking that I would have to boot to safe mode to use the command I had posted earlier, but was completely unable to boot there also. It kept hanging after crcdisk.sys, but working in the newer recovery environment I was able to get the check disk to stop from loading, and get back to my work. It was however somewhat laggy when I first got it to boot, but a simple restart fixed that after everything was done loading.

I had the same problem with Vista Home premium.So i just reinstalled Windows Xp Pro 64 an d im happy again.I dont have time to deal with all the bullcrap Vista throws at me.But im hoping Vista will become a better OS in the next year or so with more updates etc.

Yeah, what if he doesn't want to switch OS's to "fix" his problem? I'm getting tired of you people coming in and saying "vistas crap, switch back to XP". If you can't help out the OP, then don't bother posting.

OP said:
I had no idea that they made things so much easier in Vista. I was thinking that I would have to boot to safe mode to use the command I had posted earlier, but was completely unable to boot there also. It kept hanging after crcdisk.sys, but working in the newer recovery environment I was able to get the check disk to stop from loading, and get back to my work. It was however somewhat laggy when I first got it to boot, but a simple restart fixed that after everything was done loading.

Glad to hear your issue was resolved. :)

I'm getting tired of the "Vista's crap" comments also.
The comment's are the same as when XP first came out and I would bet that most of the Vista commenter's are probably not old enough to remember that fact.
I agree with TheCheat. If you can't help, then shut it.

Yeah, what if he doesn't want to switch OS's to "fix" his problem? I'm getting tired of you people coming in and saying "vistas crap, switch back to XP". If you can't help out the OP, then don't bother posting.

I'm getting tired of the "Vista's crap" comments also.
The comment's are the same as when XP first came out and I would bet that most of the Vista commenter's are probably not old enough to remember that fact.
I agree with TheCheat. If you can't help, then shut it.

My thoughts exactly. I happen to love Vista, and a recommendation to go back to XP was of no help what so ever. As I had stated in the reply to that post, Vista has been running nice and stable up to the point of that warning. As a matter of fact, I am posting from it right now, and having no problems what so ever. To be honest, I actually like Vista a lot more than I did XP. The fact that the new WinRE is more graphical, it makes things a lot easier for even the average Joe. System Restore, restore from backup, command prompt, are all right there, just a mouse click away, making recovery a lot easier than trying to find commands and locations of files on the disc. I did, however, opt to replace the drive anyway. I don't know how accurate Vista's check might be, but I just don't want to take any chances.

Back