• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

vmware - how would this work?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I've got a dsl connection for downloading (fast) and a slow one thats going to waste. I don't want to screw around with un and replugging kb/mouse with another pc (which only accepts 192mb ram for some odd reason) - how would I go about having a vmware pc with, oh, server2003, and just use it for web browsing, telling it to use my other connection (different lan card)? Would it use much in the way of cpu? Plus, I wouldn't be using 2 pc's worth of power! Can anyone think of any cons to this method?

Really want to get a pc for web browsing only and downloading, since I game and do heavy stuff on the main rig very rarely, but 1) not too keen on buying used parts in case I screw up, 2) would have to install my 4 hard drives with mp3s etc, which would be totally useless with a sound system - and I've heard horror stories with KVM switches (monitor just gets shifted to a different res and refresh, instead of giving it a chance to adapt such as un and replugging - heard it wrecks a monitor)

It would weight heavily on your CPU...why would you use 2k3?

A good solution would be to use something like Xubuntu or win2k on that 192 mb machine.

I've got a dsl connection for downloading (fast) and a slow one thats going to waste. I don't want to screw around with un and replugging kb/mouse with another pc (which only accepts 192mb ram for some odd reason) - how would I go about having a vmware pc with, oh, server2003, and just use it for web browsing, telling it to use my other connection (different lan card)? Would it use much in the way of cpu? Plus, I wouldn't be using 2 pc's worth of power! Can anyone think of any cons to this method?

Really want to get a pc for web browsing only and downloading, since I game and do heavy stuff on the main rig very rarely, but 1) not too keen on buying used parts in case I screw up, 2) would have to install my 4 hard drives with mp3s etc, which would be totally useless with a sound system - and I've heard horror stories with KVM switches (monitor just gets shifted to a different res and refresh, instead of giving it a chance to adapt such as un and replugging - heard it wrecks a monitor)

buying another computer wouldnt be that bad. You dont have to have the computer hooked up to a KVM either, 03 has remote desk capabilites, or hell, even using logmein or vnc you can still terminal into the machine via your "gaming rig" i do that with my server, i have no issues.

also, with your music you can map a network drive to your music anod not have the need to hook your stero system up to the other machine.

Back