• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computer FREEZE problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ManOfKnight

Back in Iowa :( Come on Gators, Get up and Go!
Here are my specs before I even start about the problem:

Q6600 B3
2x1GB Ballistix
ATI HD3870
ASUS P5KE-WiFi
S12 600w PSU
(watercooled)

My computer has been fine for months...zero stability issues. Starting last week my computer randomly freezes and sometimes will not even POST!!! I have taken out each of the RAM one at a time...the problem stayed. I do not understand what happened...can't be a Vista issue as the problem stays sometimes when it isn't booted. I took away my overclock...still locks up.
I don't have an extra processor or mobo to test...so I am really confused. I have a sneaking suspicion it may be the processor...

It isn't the processor. Try moving 1 stick of RAM to a different slot, and leaving the other one out. Do this for both sticks, in all slots.

After that, reset your CMOS if it still isn't working. That means take out the battery and move the jumper for your particular board. Maybe something got screwed up.

It is most likely a RAM issue, difficulty posting as well as the rate of failing Ballistix modules makes me lean towards this as the culprit. That is why JamesXP suggested to run memtest.

What voltage were you running the sticks at?

Did that all ready...guess I didn't explain it well enough.

They are running at AUTO...I can increase their voltage...but not until I get home

Well don't run them at auto.

I'm curious to what voltage they *have been* running at for the time that everything was working fine. Did you have a fan blowing on them?

I will do the memtest when I get home...as I have to burn a CD and I am at work at the moment :D

I believe they were 1.8 or 1.85 when looking at them. Negative, no fan at all...they were a little warm but not extreme by any means. I ran them at 2.2v just trying to see if that was the case...nothing.

Both memory modules tested bad in single and dual channel in channels 1,2,3,4...either both my memory modules are bad or my motherboard is going sour.

I put in for an RMA on the RAM but since newegg WON'T cross-ship I have to wait until my memory I bought on the forums show up.

Well it is NOT the memory. Memtest failed in my desktop so I let a buddy borrow the ram to test it. It worked fine for almost 2 hours...errors in mine in less than 15 minutes.

THINKING it is the motherboard...but don't have a processor to test to confirm it. This sucks @SS.

Try disabling USB (or at least disable Legacy USB) in the BIOS before running memtest. That cured my mystery memtest RAM errors.

Back