• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

no beeps, no graphics

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gisler

Registered
Hello,

so anyway i was moving my pc over to a bigger case because the one it in looked like a rats nest. so after getting everything over i plug in the power sw backwords. plug the power in and after about 6 seconds i start smelling smoke. i quickly unpluged it. You must be thinking what an idiot :).

so after correcting my mistake when my pc starts up i get no beeps, no video. I have tried moving the ram around, reseating the graphics card. so i do not know where to go now.

Many thanks
gis

i havent had any power switch pluggin in backwards affairs result in any damage to any thing, considering theyre a momentary switch just completing a circuit i ....donno, odd

start lookin for burn marks, you find burn marks, what ever burnt is safe to assume dead i guess

check and see if there isnt any thing shoring out from under the motherboard or something not sittin on top thats shorting something out too

Yep, plugging the 2 pin power on switch wouldn't short out. I agree with the above.
Something else shorted or wasn't plugged in, like the cpu fan..

I'd pull off the back panel of the case too so you can see the motherboard tray... check for standoffs in spots they shouldn't be.

This is probably the EASIEST mistake to make.

~ Gos

yeah i got it working. :) i was thinking that reversing the power sw would not cause a short but i was not sure. all i did was reset the cmos and that seemed to fix it.

it is running now kinda. when it starts up i get a bsod saying "system service exception". it will boot into safe mode just fine for some reason.

Many thanks

gis

Back