• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrading???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zacdrew

Im contemplating upgrading to a new rig. However with the release of Nehalem on the horizon I dont know if I should go for it or hold back. I am on a budget. My next rig isnt going to be a cheapout. I've started benching and the cheap options just dont do it. Eg. FSB walls and such. The less I spend now the more I can later. Any ideas?? Go for it now or wait and guts and glory in a year?

Im contemplating upgrading to a new rig. However with the release of Nehalem on the horizon I dont know if I should go for it or hold back. I am on a budget. My next rig isnt going to be a cheapout. I've started benching and the cheap options just dont do it. Eg. FSB walls and such. The less I spend now the more I can later. Any ideas?? Go for it now or wait and guts and glory in a year?

It is just a matter of how long you want to wait. However with so many things on the horizon Nehalem, falling prices of DDR3, and Direct X 10.1 cards I would wait. I know my next upgrade will be when I can get all three of the afore mentioned items at a reasonable price.

Guys, I'm an old veteran of throwing away money on yearly updates and I can tell you it's not always a good idea. About two years ago I joined UA (Updater's Anonymous) and quit cold turkey. The newest and fastest gear will clean your clock faster than a Vegas black jack dealer, and in the end you'll still fall behind the pack when the new good stuff comes out. Get in back of the pack and you'll have more money for booze or for whatever butters your muffin.

I'll drink to that. :beer:

Guys, I'm an old veteran of throwing away money on yearly updates and I can tell you it's not always a good idea. About two years ago I joined UA (Updater's Anonymous) and quit cold turkey. The newest and fastest gear will clean your clock faster than a Vegas black jack dealer, and in the end you'll still fall behind the pack when the new good stuff comes out. Get in back of the pack and you'll have more money for booze or for whatever butters your muffin.

I'll drink to that. :beer:

Well that does sounds good to me. Seems I have some serious thinkin to do before I decide what Im goin for. Maybe Ill jsut upgrade my CPU for now and see what 3dmark scores I can pump out. Cheers, and thanks for the input.

The question you need to ask yourself is, "What is my current rig not doing for me?" If the best you can come up with is shaving a few milliseconds off an app you should wait. Like many others in here I have the constant desire to upgrade my rigs, but I have learned ($) the hard way to just wait a few months and save the big $$ to get some better gear.

You are welcome. I was worried I was sounding like a big old stiff. (The old part is very true as for the stiff, well, I'm not going there :) I have seriously blown a lot of money in pursuit of the perfect machine only to wake up the next day and find it's not perfect anymore.

Take care and cheers! :beer:

You are welcome. I was worried I was sounding like a big old stiff. (The old part is very true as for the stiff, well, I'm not going there :) I have seriously blown a lot of money in pursuit of the perfect machine only to wake up the next day and find it's not perfect anymore.

Take care and cheers! :beer:

I am with you man. I have had the same rig (except a recent video card upgrade to a used8800GTS 640) for the past 2 1/2 years. It still works!

its like a reunion of the old AMD chips, lol , rseven got me info back when I was building my rig in my sig ( he suggested the amazing epox mobo! :)

I didn't know I was attending an AMD homecoming or I would have rinsed the gray out of my hair, that is, what's left of it. :beer:

R7

I am in the same boat except I am looking to upgrade to your existing rig. I only want to spend around $250. Am I wasting my money?

Toward the idea of upgrading to already outdated technology, that was what I was considering doing myself, until after a while of shopping around for used parts, I realized that it is not that much more expensive to get new equipment vice paying the premium for getting rare stuff that was top of the line a few years ago. For example, I was thinking of getting a full ATX board with dual x16 pcie lanes for my 939 socket opteron 165 down there and just sli'ing some fatal1ty 8600gt's, but as I went on and on, I said the hell with it and just bought all new stuff.

Cpyfx, I would never put $250 to a system that long in the tooth. For a small amount more you could build a whole new AM2 rig. If you can pick up something used and cheap, that's a different matter, but save the bigger bucks for a whole new rig.

Cheers! :beer:

R7

Back