• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do I backup/rip a dvd?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Binow

I searched and found the some good programs. I tried DVD Decrypter/CladDVD/DVDFab Platinum and all have the same result.

I'm trying to convert my computer into a HTPC and would like to store all of my DVD movies on it so I can easily access them all without having to have a couple hundred DVD disks laying around. I'd prefer to just store them in a box in the garage.

With DVD Decrypter I have tried backing up the ISO. When I open the ISO though it's not exactly as the disk is. The directory AUDIO_TS file is always empty no matter how I try to backup. The directory on the DVD has files in it though. The backup plays though with sound so I don't know what the AUDIO_TS directory really is for. What is the best method to back these up?

i use DVD Shrink
rip em straight to iso and on my server they go.

im over 2.5tb in one server alone now. 750gb in the second server. it is an addiction. i love having all my dvd movies in one spot, accessible via remote anytime i desire

i use DVD Shrink
rip em straight to iso and on my server they go.

im over 2.5tb in one server alone now. 750gb in the second server. it is an addiction. i love having all my dvd movies in one spot, accessible via remote anytime i desire

Is there a program that will play them from ISO though? Or, do you have to extract them then play them?

www.doom9.org
www.dvdrhelp.com

it all depends how good you want the final product, one click programs alot of people like, other dont due to the loss in quality (pixely looking scenes in dark areas) but it is the fastes, vs say using 3 or 4 apps and taking 5+hours.

Dameon tools lets you mount ISO images, then you use a player to play them like a normal movie.

Audio_ts is always empty :)

if you want pure %100 copies, just use DVD Decrypter and make ISO formats, then use something like daemon tools (daemon tools pro lets you mount infinite amount of images basically, where as free limits you to 4 at once time i beleive), mount and play.

Is there a program that will play them from ISO though? Or, do you have to extract them then play them?

i have daemon tools installed on my HTPC

i run media portal as my frontend on top of windows xp. one of the beautiful things about media portal is its ability to recognize nearly ANY file format. it will integrate with daemon tools seamlessly and mount the iso for you. all you have to do is click on the name. hell you can even download images and descriptions/actors from IMDB through media portal. all my dvds show up as the box art on screen, so really all i have to do is click on a pretty little picture when i want to watch a movie.:thup:

In the interests of saving space you likely want to rip them to some sort of encoded format - a 4.5GB DVD should easily be reduced to a ~2GB Xvid while still retaining good quality picture/sound.

In the interests of saving space you likely want to rip them to some sort of encoded format - a 4.5GB DVD should easily be reduced to a ~2GB Xvid while still retaining good quality picture/sound.

i prefer to retain full digital 5.1 audio. i havent ever been successful in ripping to xvid while retaining it.

Thanks for the help guys. Perfect solutions to what I need to do. I'll go with the ISO method as I prefer no loss in quality and have 2 TB of HD space to work with so I should be ok for a little while. Thanks a ton!

i prefer to retain full digital 5.1 audio. i havent ever been successful in ripping to xvid while retaining it.

AC3 :) take a bit more time and space, but if you have the room, with HD"s being so cheap, i am the same, just give me a pure untcouhed image

i have daemon tools installed on my HTPC

i run media portal as my frontend on top of windows xp. one of the beautiful things about media portal is its ability to recognize nearly ANY file format. it will integrate with daemon tools seamlessly and mount the iso for you. all you have to do is click on the name. hell you can even download images and descriptions/actors from IMDB through media portal. all my dvds show up as the box art on screen, so really all i have to do is click on a pretty little picture when i want to watch a movie.:thup:

There any alternative to MediaPortal? I don't need all the other features it has. I just need it to playback video. It seems MediaPortal is hugely bloated and load times are quite long. I'd like to run something off of my laptop if possible in the living room until I convert my pc over to a HTPC.

vlc can be nice, but i find it can be finicky, like forwarding through a movie - avi or something, it freezes using the slider bar, VLC seems to be the jack of all trades master of none kind of thing.

i use a mix of

Media player 11
Media player classic
powerdvd 7

I use dvd decrypter in IFO mode to rip it and then auto GK to convert it into an xvid at 75%.

For playback I just have the CCCP installed and use media player classic and ffdshow

Back