• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

dvd drive...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
How about if I want blu-ray? Since they are so cheap, im thinking that I might be able to afford one...or maybe ill go for a regular one now, and buy a blu-ray a bit later on...

Depends on your usage. If you intend to use blu-ray for movies or storing large files, then blu-ray will work great. If not, then simply wait until you do intend to use it...then the expected difference in price will get you 2 drives for 1...(depending on how long you wait, the price difference may or may not "pay" for the regular burner that you would get now).

If you go blu-ray, this is probably your best bet http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106225

Will this blu-ray drive also do regular cd's at a decent speed or not? It seems great, especially for the price. I bet blu-ray movies will look great at 1650x1050.

Model
Brand LITE-ON
Type Blu-ray DVD-ROM Drive
Model DH-4O1S-08
Performance
DVD-ROM Access Time 160ms
CD-ROM Access Time 150ms
Cache 8MB
READ Speed
Blu-ray DVD-ROM 4X
DVD-ROM 12X
CD-ROM 32X
Physical Spec
Form Factor 5.25"
Panel Color Black
Configuration
Load Type Tray
Interface SATA
Physical Spec
Windows Vista Works with Windows Vista
Features
Features Read BD-R/RE/ROM/SL/DL: 4x CAV
Packaging
Package Contents DH-4O1S-08
Driver Disk
Software Disk
Replaceable White Front Panel
SATA Cable

According to the specs, it's a Rom drive for Blu-Ray, DVD and CD...so if you wanted to burn something, you'd need a different drive as well (two drives in conjunction?).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106037 that one burns Blu-Ray, DVD and CD...but you'll be better off (if you want blu-ray) simply using the Blu-Ray rom and a DVD burner

no problem...just realize that you won't be able to burn blu-ray disks ;) (which I believe most HD movies are code protected anyhow and you probably won't be using $15 disks to back up your hdds).

Ah ok. Ill just go for a regular reader, and drop in a blu-ray burner when I get more cash on hand/have a need for blu-ray. 360 is pretty damn expensive...I rather get a 9800 GTX lol.

360 for a blu-ray is nuts! Then again I don't even have a regular dvd drive hooked up to the tv.

I sometimes forget that the two in rig actually play dvds!:eek::bang head

Glad I read you're question right there O Fallen one.:soda:

Back