• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Some advice? (Phenom 9850 + mobo)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MadMan112

Hello all.

I want to buy a Phenom 9850 Black Edition and overclock it.
I currently have a Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe mobo and want to concider buying a GigaByte MA790X-DS4 because it's a AM2+ mobo and the mobo I'm using now isn't very stable.
I also want it because it has Crossfire, I wanna run 2 ATI Radeon 3870 OC Edition's on it.
And I'm gonna use 4GB of A-Data memory at 800MHz.
I was wondering if it's a good choise or should I consider a other mobo?
Because I wanna get it as high as possible (and stable ofcourse).
Any ideas?

That MSI board looks promising.
But I was wondering if I order this board and put a Phenom 9850 Black Edition on it and 2 ATI Radeon 3870 OC Edition's if I need the additional power connector.
What's the use of it?

Yes... The additional power is for the CPU. AMD has been doing this for a while now. If I remember right (and I don't wanna open up my AthlonXP thats under my gf's desk to verify) they have been using em since then.

I see, I've seen it on older motherboards but never on new ones.
Thanks for the info.

Lostapostle, back to your post...
The Busspeed on that MSI mobo is 1600-4000 MT/s.
The GigaByte MA790FX-DS5 has the same Chipset and the max Busspeed is 2000-5200 MT/s but hasen't got a additional power connector.
Won't the lower Busspeed affect the CPU speed? Can't I use the Gigabyte mobo for my Phenom?
Because I rather have a Gigabyte mobo then a MSI board.
I'm working at a computer store myself and we only sell Gigabyte mobo's, I've never had problems with them, that's why I rather have a Gigabyte mobo.

I don't believe the extra power connector (the four-pin molex next to that first PCx-16 slot) is for the CPU. I've always understood that it supplied extra power to the PCI slots for extreme systems, such as multiple GPU's along with other PCI peripherals (modems, sound cards, hardware RAID, etc.).

Right the wide four pin Molex is the extra power to run PCI-E. Some dual 16 slot boards don't have the 4 pin molex which in most cases folks who buy XFire/SLI mobos buy Video cards with the extra 6 pin power connector. Mainly it provides stability.

Most have the standard square 4 pin plug at the CPU for the VRegs but some now have the 8 pin connectors which give 4 additional wires for 12V. You can still run the 4 pin on 90 watt cpus but need the 8 for 120+ watters.

Thanks for the info guys, made me alot wiser, but I just decided to go with Intel instead of AMD.
So this thread can die now unless you guys still wanna discuss.

Back