• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

intel chip overclocking question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Brando3733

Ok I am new here so im not sure if this is were this belongs sorry if it is in the wrong place but I am trying to overclock my cpu Ive read some guides and what not but I havent been able to figure it out with the motherboard I have In other words my bios Is confusing:confused: its not like they say it is in alot of these guides can some please help me it be greatly appreciated thanks

cpu:dual processor northwood p4 2.6ghz
mobo:intel d865perl
mem: pc2700 ddr 512mb

Last edited:
Hello, and welcome to the forums :beer:

I'm relatively confident in saying that your motherboard is incapable of being overclocked. For a very long time, Intel frowned upon (and was actually angry at) overclocking in almost any form. Only very recently have they turned around and started offering overclocking options, and even targeting overclockers with "Extreme Edition" processors that feature unlocked multipliers for even better overclocking possibilities.

So, sadly to say, you may not be able to overclock that particular motherboard. But that's ok, you can still hang out, do some reading, and get the info you need to build your own overclocking monster for your next computer :)

Hello, and welcome to the forums :beer:

I'm relatively confident in saying that your motherboard is incapable of being overclocked. For a very long time, Intel frowned upon (and was actually angry at) overclocking in almost any form. Only very recently have they turned around and started offering overclocking options, and even targeting overclockers with "Extreme Edition" processors that feature unlocked multipliers for even better overclocking possibilities.

So, sadly to say, you may not be able to overclock that particular motherboard. But that's ok, you can still hang out, do some reading, and get the info you need to build your own overclocking monster for your next computer :)

ooo well thats kinda blah, lol I actually got it to overclock by 4% a whole 104 mhz wooooow lol. I was just hoping it could go further but i guess not, but thanks for the kind greeting and I sure will have fun bouncing around reading until I can really overclock in the future. I need to learn more anyways Im new to this but thank you for letting me know.

Yeah, a few of the intel boards had some doofy "turbo" mechanism that would give you something between 3-5% boost to clock speed -- I assume that's probably what you found :)

Interestingly, the newest Intel boards (example: the "Bad Axe" models) do allow overclocking, and were reasonably proficient at it. Intel makes fantastic motherboards for rock-solid 24/7/365 stability, but they're typically pricey and usually a better deal can be found for those of us who aren't building a "five nine's" class server.

Back