• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I know nothing about RAM!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zolojub

Registered
OK, I plan on building a gaming computer with a E8400 and a ASUS P5N-D nForce 750i Motherboard. I would like 2 GB's of RAM for around $100. I plan on overclocking, maybe to 3.5 GHZ, but not higher than 4 GHZ. Would 2GB's for around $100 be considered "cheap" RAM or "descent"?:confused: Could anyone please suggest some good memory for me?

Thank you

Last edited:
100 bucks for 2 gigs ram is great! Go for the crucial ballistix ddr2 800 (tracers if you want). 2x1gb sticks. You should really get 4x1gb sticks though... Crucial = great oc because Crucial = D9. Lemme pull out a link...

If you pay $100 for 2 gigs these days you are getting screwed over. $75 is enough for a 2x2GB set of name brand CS4 stuff. A 2x1GB set of decent CS4 should be around $30 after rebated..

Last edited:
am I missing something? How do you know?

While you can't guarantee the mobo will be able to ramp speeds up that high it's backwards compatable more than it is forwards...wise.

Basically if you buy RAM rated at a higher speed it doesn't mean it runs exclusively at that speed.

While you can't guarantee the mobo will be able to ramp speeds up that high it's backwards compatable more than it is forwards...wise.

Basically if you buy RAM rated at a higher speed it doesn't mean it runs exclusively at that speed.

ok, thanks, so it would be better for me to go with DDR2 1000, because I would like to try my hand at some OCing

ok, thanks, so it would be better for me to go with DDR2 1000, because I would like to try my hand at some OCing

IIRC the E8400 has a 9x multi and runs at 333FSB for 3.0ghz or so at stock speeds. If you were to bump the FSB to 400 with a 1:1 memory ratio, you'd hit 3.6ghz while running the RAM at 800mhz. All DDR2 1000 would mean is you could run the FSB at 500 for 4.5ghz while staying within the memory spec.

The issue is that all the DDR2 1000 I've seen is rated at 5-5-5-15, while you can get a decent set of DDR2 800 4-4-4-12 and just bump the timings up to 5-5-5-15 and run the same speeds for less money.. Your call..

Back