• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Random restarts

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Firestrider

So my friend was having a problem with random restarts with his computer and wanted me to take a look at it. After looking at this wires and components I saw that he had an Aspire power supply. I heard that these power supplies aren't made very well, so could this be the problem for random restarts?

What other hardware/software problem could cause this?

heat, overclock, ram timings,drivers, OS, it really could be anything

try stress testing and see if that crashes it everytime

Yeah, It really could be alot of different things, However I think the Aspire PSU gives you an excellent starting point. I would have him replace it, Even if it isn't the culprit now, Chances are it will be in the not to distant future.

a full list of system specs would help, what about any recent additions to the pc.

Here's the specs:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4000+
GA-MA69VM-S2
A-DATA 2GB DDR-800
WD5000 AAJS Caviar SE
Aspire ATX-AS520W

After the BIOS screen I get the message: K8 NPT Data Change... Update New Data to DMI... Update Success. I get this message every time I turn on the computer.

Also another serious error occured right when I loaded up Windows it says:

The system is shutting down problem with NT Authority / System in file C:/Windows/system32/services.exe status code 1073741819

Takes about 5 minutes to restart if I don't get that error.

well the bios may have a bad battiery with that first message. with the other one it could be a bad psu, with bad power or the HD is having data corruption issues.

Here's the specs:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4000+
GA-MA69VM-S2
A-DATA 2GB DDR-800
WD5000 AAJS Caviar SE
Aspire ATX-AS520W

After the BIOS screen I get the message: K8 NPT Data Change... Update New Data to DMI... Update Success. I get this message every time I turn on the computer.

Also another serious error occured right when I loaded up Windows it says:

The system is shutting down problem with NT Authority / System in file C:/Windows/system32/services.exe status code 1073741819

Takes about 5 minutes to restart if I don't get that error.

Fire,

Along with Evil's suggestions, your files may become corrupt while loading by having them in memory then shutting down. A virus is a possibility too. It's hard to tell which it could be but I would yank that power supply anyhow then begin some testing. It's still a good rig and usefull.

Will it start ok in Safe Mode ?

I can load into Windows half the time and that message comes up the other half. I can't really run a Virus scan or WD diagnostics since it will always restart.

I guess I'll have to format the hard drive.

Back