• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Random: anyone else use this method to OC?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Xaeryan

[EDIT: thought I was in the 'General CPU' section when I posted, sorry!]

Anyone use the same (possibly backwards) method of overclocking as I have adopted? I like to set a relatively safe goal, say 3.2GHz on my 2.4GHz C2D. Then I work from 'fail to success' instead of from 'success to fail'.
Example:
1. Set my 'safe' goal speed, but with a low voltage.
2. It fails POST... GOOD :eek:
3. Bump voltage and adjust other settings as necessary until it POSTs.
4. It fails to boot Windows... FINE
5. Repeat step 3 until Windows boots
6. It fails Prime immediately
7. Repeat step 3 until Prime can start
8. It fails Prime after several hours
9. Repeat step 3 until Prime can run for many hours
10. Add a bit of margin room and continue testing all apps/games.
Of course, temperature monitoring in between all steps.

This is probably less-preferred than the 'creep-up' method; getting something stable then *slowly* increasing speeds and adjusting settings as you go. But it sure is quicker for me, and in my older age I don't have the testing patience that I once did. Results! NOW! lol :eek:

So, anyone else do this? Or am I crazy in my methods? :bday:

Well evryone has their own methods. I do the opposite which takes less work ;)

As long as your method works for you, that's all that matters now, doesn't it? :D

Well evryone has their own methods. I do the opposite which takes less work ;)

As long as your method works for you, that's all that matters now, doesn't it? :D

Oh absolutely, just curious as to how others do it. :santa:

Xaeryan, I use your method when I have a pretty good idea about what the CPU should clock to. Like when I bought my E8400 I knew it would most likely it would do 4GHz so I just set 4GHz right off the bat and adjusted the voltage till I got a 12+ hour stable orthos.

I take a far longer route typically...

Start with stock speeds and find the lowest stable volts I can. And then work up from there. All at the same time, I key in my data to Excel to generate a chart of volts versus clockspeed so I get an idea of where the chip starts to cross over the line between sensical linear voltage adjustment versus non-linear voltage adjustment.

My E8400 would do stock speed at 0.9125v, and was pretty much a straight line at all overclocking vs voltage points until around 4.1ghz where the volts suddenly needed to move a little bit more for the associated clockspeed -- until again at around 4.3Ghz where the volts then needed to move a LOT more for the associated clockspeed.

The Q9450 will do stock speed at 0.925v, and needs 1.275 to do 3.6Ghz. Unfortunately, the stopping point on that processor wasn't voltage :(

[EDIT: thought I was in the 'General CPU' section when I posted, sorry!]

Anyone use the same (possibly backwards) method of overclocking as I have adopted? I like to set a relatively safe goal, say 3.2GHz on my 2.4GHz C2D. Then I work from 'fail to success' instead of from 'success to fail'.
Example:
1. Set my 'safe' goal speed, but with a low voltage.
2. It fails POST... GOOD :eek:
3. Bump voltage and adjust other settings as necessary until it POSTs.
4. It fails to boot Windows... FINE
5. Repeat step 3 until Windows boots
6. It fails Prime immediately
7. Repeat step 3 until Prime can start
8. It fails Prime after several hours
9. Repeat step 3 until Prime can run for many hours
10. Add a bit of margin room and continue testing all apps/games.
Of course, temperature monitoring in between all steps.

This is probably less-preferred than the 'creep-up' method; getting something stable then *slowly* increasing speeds and adjusting settings as you go. But it sure is quicker for me, and in my older age I don't have the testing patience that I once did. Results! NOW! lol :eek:

So, anyone else do this? Or am I crazy in my methods? :bday:

That's how I do it too :p Never bothered mentioning it cause I'm sort of embarrassed I don't OC the 'right' way :p

lol, i do it the same way. i go for a goal that i know i can hit, work my voltages up to it, and after its stable, i try going higher

Same here, lol.
Works well if your first guess is good, saves plenty of time :D

i do it a little different. i set my absolute maximum voltage that i'm willing to run on all my settings (CPU, RAM, NB, SB, CPU VTT). then, i ramp up the clockspeed as high as i can get it at those voltages. i then fine tune and back down any voltages that can be reduced. it allows me to very quickly find max clocks.

lol, i do it the same way. i go for a goal that i know i can hit, work my voltages up to it, and after its stable, i try going higher

Same here. I've been doing this for a long time, and found out the hard way that starting at stock is a waste of time. Every chip has at least *some* potential and by the time I buy a new CPU, it's usually known what the average speed is.

For example I just put a new Q6600 CPU in today. I immediately started at 3.3, and surprisingly found that it wasn't stable. So it was necessary to tweak things, and I'm now priming at 3.5 and it seems solid.

We're not in the K6-2 days anymore where we had 25-50mhz increments and had to start at the bottom and work our way up the ladder. Today's chips will often get you into Windows at > 200mhz what they're actually Prime-tested capable of. This makes setting the bar high easy, and sometimes I find it's less time consuming working your way down to stability.

I just bump everything to a safe maximum, and slowly go down. Works wonders. In less than a week, I am running 3.6 ghz @ 1.4325 volts on my quad, and 1050 mhz @ 2.15 @ 4-4-4-12 on 4 gigs of tracers. :) Perfectly stable. :D

Back