• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question regarding Digital Surround Sound

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hektik100

Registered
I have an Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe Motherboard. My Receiver is a Harmon Kardon. I'm trying to get my PC to work with my receiver in True digital 5.1 Surround mode. I have the pc hooked up via digital fiber cable. My problem is, Im only getting 2 speakers that are digital (Left and Right Front) vs the other 5. Why is this ? Am i missing drivers for it to go true digital to all my speakers. Does the fiber port on the back of the motherboard not support 5.1 digital, only 2 channels ?

When i play my PS3 all my speakers are working in true digital mode. The PS3 is hooked up the same way, via a Digital fiber cable.

Appreciate any help.

Thanks

What source are you playing on your computer? If you're just playing an mp3 or a game, you're only going to get 2 channel audio. The only thing that will get 5.1 over spdif will be a movie that's in 5.1 If you're looking to get 5.1 in a game, you'll need to hook up with analog instead.

Roboto is right on the money, even on ps3 if you play downloaded videos or high def trailers and you see their information you will know that they are 2 channel instead of 5/6 channels. Another way to get some surruond would be to force your reciever to output in dolby/dolby II i presume right now your reciever would be in auto detect mode, this however would not be true surround but atleast you will get to enjoy those 2 channels encoded videos/sounds via your surround

Roboto is right on the money, even on ps3 if you play downloaded videos or high def trailers and you see their information you will know that they are 2 channel instead of 5/6 channels. Another way to get some surruond would be to force your reciever to output in dolby/dolby II i presume right now your reciever would be in auto detect mode, this however would not be true surround but atleast you will get to enjoy those 2 channels encoded videos/sounds via your surround
Yup, some amplifiers will "upconvert" the audio to 4.0 or better.

Back