• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P5B Deluxe - Cannot select RAM voltage of 2.2v - WHY?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jivetrky

So after a terrible battle with this board it seems to be miraculously working again. It could have been my RAM after all I guess. I'm now using the new RAM I bought a couple days ago. It's new Crucial Ballistix (single sided) DDR2-800. It's spec'd for 4-4-4-12 2.2v. By BIOS does not have 2.2v as a selection. It has 2.15 then 2.25, no 2.2. I tried 2.15 with the 4-4-4 settings and it won't boot. I got it to boot ONCE just using auto, but it bluescreened. So I assume that was because the SPD was setting the voltage to 1.8 or something and it just wouldn't work.

I am afraid to set it to 2.25v as I didn't want to void any warranty, or fry it.

I see from Asus' site that there are a few BIOS updates after the one I have, but the descriptions don't mention anything about additional voltage options for the RAM. I will probable try the update once I'm done with a large download I have going (been on a P3-800 for the last couple weeks, do I haven't been able to watch any podcasts...anywho)

But does anyone have any insight. Why on earth wouldn't there be an option for 2.2v but yet there is one for every other .5 step?

BTW, it's a P5B Deluxe Wifi. It was running fine with my Teamgroup RAM at DDR2-800 4-4-4-12, at 2.1v, at least until a couple weeks ago when I think that RAM took a dive. (Then seemed to come back for a couple days, only to apparently die again. :mad:)

the SPD wont set the voltage it only sets the timings. you have to manually set the voltage for the ram. as to missing a voltage selection im not sure but have you tried flashign to a older bios then back to the newest one? another thing for right now is to set the timings to 5-5-5-14 while you do the bios flashing.

the SPD wont set the voltage it only sets the timings. you have to manually set the voltage for the ram. as to missing a voltage selection im not sure but have you tried flashign to a older bios then back to the newest one? another thing for right now is to set the timings to 5-5-5-14 while you do the bios flashing.

ahhh OK...I didn't know SPD didn't set voltage. Learn something new everyday. :)

I looked at the SPD settings in CPU-z and it showed that it'll do 400Mhz 5-5-5-18 @1.8v

ballistixspdej2.jpg

I might set it to that before I flash. Or maybe since it seems to be working OK right now, I will just flash it as is. I'd think it'll be ok :shrug: at least I hope :)

well being single side tells me it has the newer ic's that are higher density. since cruical is shifting to DDR3 production. IMO .05 volt more isnt going to hurt the ram but i would touch the ram to see how hot they get. that is assuming you still cant select 2.2v in the bios after the flash dance.

well being single side tells me it has the newer ic's that are higher density. since cruical is shifting to DDR3 production. IMO .05 volt more isnt going to hurt the ram but i would touch the ram to see how hot they get. that is assuming you still cant select 2.2v in the bios after the flash dance.

Wish me luck!

flashdance.jpg

Last edited:
Oh, BTW flash was fine, but it didn't fix my missing voltage option. In fact, it seems like now there are possibly even less options? I thought that before the options filled more than could be viewed on the page, and now it all fits. :shrug: not that it matters, all the ones normal users would go for are there (except for the darned 2.2v!@#)

Anyone else have a P5b Deluxe and have this voltage option missing?

That board's BIOS never had a 2.2 volts option for the ram. I dont think it'd hurt anyway. Thats what I had my old mem before. They weren't a Ballistix tho.

Back