• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Core 2 Quad Q6600 questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

catchyname

Hey got a question for you guys. I put a Q6600 on a evga 780i mobo and overclocked to 3.2 with no problems, but i recently noticed something weird. when i look at my computer properties window it show my cpu running at 3.6 although in post and bios it shows it at 3.2. Also when i look in everest it show my cpu being a 3.2 but when you look at each core it shows them running at 3.6. Ive overclocke before but Ive never seen this. Let me know whats up. thanks

Last edited:
what did you set the mutli to? if its 8 then i think some programs make it read at 9 even though its at 8 in reality.

some programs stick to the defualt multi, like windows, use cpuz that always shows the correct speed.

the multi is set at 8. i was thinking the same thing about windows. but everest is reading a multi of eight at 3.2 but a real time reading of 3.59-3.6. It speeds up to 3.6 and will sometimes go down to 3.59. cpuz shows 3.2. everest is the program that is really making me think, because of that real time speed of 3.6. i attached a screen shot

Attachments

• 0SnapShot.zip
    349.2 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
I don't trust everest - It doesn't even know what motherboard I have, it thinks I have a 680i when I have a 780i, and also thinks my pc2-8500 is pc2-6400 at 800mhz, when it is running at 900mhz on CPU-z and in BIOS...

i just noticed that prime95 is doing the same thing. showing my clock higher then it really is

Last edited:
I don't trust everest - It doesn't even know what motherboard I have, it thinks I have a 680i when I have a 780i, and also thinks my pc2-8500 is pc2-6400 at 800mhz, when it is running at 900mhz on CPU-z and in BIOS...

There's nothing wrong with Everest. It's been an accurate program as long as I've used it. The reason it's reading your 780i as a 680i is probably because the chips are supposedly just spruced up 680i chips. My everest shows correct CPU frequencies no matter what. You've got what we call a glitch. Could be software, could be hardware, could be the keyboard/chair interface.
Have you tried reloading the program?

I just reload everest. still reading high. prime95 and windows are doing the same thing. i have to agree with spawn-inc and evilsizer. it looks like they are reading the default multi (which is 9). i have it set to eight right now with my fsb cranked up. BUT besides this one glitch i will still continue to use everest. its a great tool for a number of reasons.

Last edited:
Just ignore it. Everest is just doing some weird calculation that doesn't take all your settings into account. Trust CPU-Z for your CPU speed.

Everest is still a great program...just don't look at that 1 part.

Just ignore it. Everest is just doing some weird calculation that doesn't take all your settings into account. Trust CPU-Z for your CPU speed.

Everest is still a great program...just don't look at that 1 part.

Agreed,

Catchy, have you browsed the Lavalys forums for an answer to this problem? I have found that they pretty much have answers to everything Everest there.

Back