• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

QX9650 Overclocking Problems, noob

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

njc3317

Hi,

First off let me just say this is my first time building a watercooled and overclocked gaming rig and if I say anything lol hilarious, it is because I am a total noob and realize this.

System Specs:
QX9650 @ 3.8 (380fsb x 10) (Want it at 4.0, 400 x 10)
WD 150GB Raptor
EVGA GeForce 8800GTS (G92) KO 512MB (stock for now)
Corsair DOMINATOR 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2 1066 (5-5-5-15) (2.1v rated)
Asus RAMPAGE FORMULA LGA 775 Intel X48

I have been trying to get this thing to 4.0ghz (400 x 10) for days now. I started slowly climbing and testing as I went. The current configuration I have is the only one that will pass Prime 95 25.6 for 1 hour. Every other config at higher fsb whether its 385 or 400 causes Prime to close after between 2 and 10 mins. To get prime to last longer, I need to up the vCore, but I'm not sure thats doing anygood.

If you look at attachments Untitled 1,2,3, they are my current bios settings for my stable 3.8 overclock. Untitled 4,5 are my most stable 4.0 overclock that will last in Prime for about 10 minutes, but the core temps get hot, around 67-70 and I beleive that is too hot for the QX9650.

CPU-z at 3.8 reports my vCore as 1.304 and my ram at ddr760 with a 1:1 ratio. (5-5-5-15 with 2T)

Basically Prime never errors for me, it just crashes and vista 64 tells me it needs to close it and it does.

I have a watercool setup, though this is my first build on that too. Have an external rad with 2x120mm silenx fans and a DD MK-TDX waterblock. My watercooling only does the proc and NB, so I thought it would do better cooling.

At idle in the 3.8ghz config, temps are 34,34,37,39 by realtemp 2.5. At load under prime for 1 hour, they are 60,59,57,57 and everest says the processor is at 47C, and it also gives the core tmeps 10C higher than realtemp as per the 45nm temp sensing problem with the tjunction.

Basically I am looking for some advice as to how to proceed next. Should I get different fans to maybe cool my system down better for the rad? I already reset the waterblock for the cpu twice with no temp changes. my fans are in a pull config with no shroud btw running at thier max of 1500rpm.

Are my temps at 4.0 of 67ish too high?

What can I do to try and get to 4.0ghz? It's not really about getting there for me, I really want to learn what to do to continue to boost my system and learn more about how to overclock correctly. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

Hey Siren,

Thanks for the info. I'm not sure I'm having that problem, but I will do the pencil mod anyways. My computer never crashes at all. Prime just dies after a couple minutes. I do notice a discrepency with the bios and Cpu-z vCore readings, so maybe this is what is causing my problem.

well first of all bro you need to get your cpu cooler 57 is to hot.. imo... also try changing the voltage on the ram from 2.0 to 2.1 maybe even 2.2 try 2.1 and relax the timing a little bit

Back