• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How many clients to run?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Th3 F4ll3n P1mp

Disabled
I am on a Q6700. How many clients should I run? One per core? One total? As many as I want? :eh?:

Edit: How do I make FAHMON work with the smp client?

Last edited:
Run Two SMP in sep folders Fah1 / ID1 -Fah2 / ID2
Fahmon just point it to your Fah folder as you did with single client

If you're not running it 24/7, I would go with 1 instance of the SMP, just to make sure you don't get caught by deadlines. SMP work units have very short deadlines compared to the older cores. A Q6700 probably wouldn't have any problems with 2 clients even if it's not running 24/7, but to be safe, I would go with one client.

So hang on. I normally run 4 instances on my quad. It it actually going to increase my PPD to run only 2? Not that it really matters, I'm not going to be breaking any records in the near future. What I mean is, If I only fire up two of the four instances that I currently have shortcutted in my start menu, is it basically going to mean that two cores will be working on each instance instead of just one? And therefore finish them faster?

Thanks for the help guys.

Last edited:
The best way is to run two SMP clients in VM ware boxes (2 core / box) <--- VERY high PPD.
Second best is running two SMP in windows
Third is running a single SMP
Worst is running four regular clients. <--- VERY low PPD.

Yes, thank you guys. I just did some research into SMP, I didn't really know what it was, believe it or not. Not the most knowledgeable or devoted folder I know.
Regardless I had it downloaded, installed and running in 30mins. I can see why you would only want two running.
Too bad no one suggested SMP clients to me when I first started, I was too tied up in learning to install, run and monitor the regular clients to do anymore research into others, not that I even knew they existed.

I am on a Q6700. How many clients should I run? One per core? One total? As many as I want? :eh?:

Edit: How do I make FAHMON work with the smp client?

I cannot get FAHMON to work with the SMP Clients either. I did the drag and drop of the fah.exe into the FAHMON window and named it. This is the path:
C:/Users/Pat/FAH2/fah.exe/
Is this not the correct way to do it? It worked with the regular client.

Edit. I should really dig a bit deeper b4 I post. You have to point at the client folder which contains the .exe and the logs, not the client .exe itself.

Last edited:
Im guessing you are using the 5.04 client(single thread)
The suggestion here is to run 2 SMP clients

Also for baditude... if you've decided to run 2 SMP clients in Windows be aware that the clients will perform best when also running the SMP Affinity Changer.

Actually... I believe 2xWinSMP doesn't work too well without it. I personally don't know (never ran 2xWinSMP), but before the advent of the SMP Affinity Changer I don't remember people speaking of a 2xWinSMP client setup.

I like the 2xVMWare/Linux/SMP setup running on top of XP... much better ppd. VMWare doesn't come without some overhead though... I recommend only for dedicated/semi-dedicated Folding boxes *OR* have a carp load of RAM, 4G should be enough. :)

OK, thank you for the info. So simply running from separate folders and changing the machine ID in advanced settings isn't enough? Or this will help the process run smoother? I ask because things seem to be going pretty smooth right now.
And the last time I screwed around with linux, I couldn't even figure out how to load a graphics driver. Don't get me started. This is enough for now. lol

Again, thx.

Last edited:
No problem... ok, it doesn't surprise me that it'll run. It just might now be very advantageous, PPD wise, to run two WinSMP clients without the SMP Affinity Changer.

You may find that the increase in PPD vs. a single WinSMP client is not that great... but with the SMP Affinity Changer it gets a 2xWinSMP client setup close to what a 2xVMWare/Linux/SMP setup will produce (when all other factors are identical and the stars are aligned).

j/k about that star alignment... but I'm sure it can't hurt either. :)

Back