• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need your help... Big time

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MoltenVball

Ok so my main folding rig just fried, and I need to know what to replace to get her back up. I woke up and it was off, and when attempting to boot it the case light came on for a second as did the Gigabyte motherboard screen then it went right back off. Any suggestions?

Power supply problems?

Do you have any extra parts laying around for debugging? Maybe play around a bit in the BIOS, switch to basic on-board graphics if you have them, back off the OC if you have one....let us know what you've tried! Hope you can get 'er back going!

You can turn that Gigabyte screen off. (in the BIOS / full logo=disable)

If you can sit IN the BIOS for a few minutes without crashing, your PS should be fine.
If when it starts to load windows it is either Windows or your hdd.

Try a different hdd maybe?

IMHO.

I would almost think not HA.
It just started occurring.

If his HS has been seated properly, it should go further than just before loading windows.

I've had a few waterblocks not seated or 1/2 seated on Intel chips & it'll make it to Windows.

my .02 :shrug:

I would almost think not HA.
It just started occurring.

If his HS has been seated properly, it should go further than just before loading windows.

I've had a few waterblocks not seated or 1/2 seated on Intel chips & it'll make it to Windows.

my .02 :shrug:

Then I would have to also lean towards a hdd problem.

Hate to reopen the discussion but its not solved. Just a fluke that it worked after resetting the HDD cables. It crashed soon after when I was at work. What ways can I determine which part it is? Heres the harder part, I just moved into my new house and have no other parts to test with. Any suggestions?!

Try swapping around your RAM. Leave one DIMM in. If it fails, swap it for the other DIMM. If that fails then move a DIMM over to another slot. Try eliminating DIMM failure or slot failure.

Given how fast it seems to die before loading Windows I would not think this is a HDD issue since most of the time it would simply stop the boot but give an error. Not shut off or reboot the whole machine. Not saying it isn't possible, but I would look for an issue with a more critical component first ie RAM, motherboard, or CPU.

Also back to the power supply. While you are in the BIOS check the voltage readings. Watch it for a few minutes for unusual drops or voltages being out of their set range.

Do you have a Linux LiveCD that you could try to boot from? This would bypass the HDD and OS.

Try swapping around your RAM. Leave one DIMM in. If it fails, swap it for the other DIMM. If that fails then move a DIMM over to another slot. Try eliminating DIMM failure or slot failure.

Given how fast it seems to die before loading Windows I would not think this is a HDD issue since most of the time it would simply stop the boot but give an error. Not shut off or reboot the whole machine. Not saying it isn't possible, but I would look for an issue with a more critical component first ie RAM, motherboard, or CPU.

Also back to the power supply. While you are in the BIOS check the voltage readings. Watch it for a few minutes for unusual drops or voltages being out of their set range.

Do you have a Linux LiveCD that you could try to boot from? This would bypass the HDD and OS.

Agreed. +1

What I usually do is play "strip it down". You have a system that doesn't work, so just keep stripping it down on it's component parts (while still allowing it to boot up, of course), until you find the troublesome component.

Before any of this though, with a good flashlight, double check all the jumpers and connections. Those little jumpers can easily be put back so they're on *one* of the pins they should be on, (and look OK), but be entirely off the second pin that they should be on. Connections can also work loose, so check 'em all. Bent pins under a connector can't be seen without disconnecting the connector, and really checking carefully.

Dirt or hair, spiders, ant's been inside? Temps and voltages look OK? No damaged or sharply bent cables or wires? No damaged traces or cracked/loose solder connections on the board? Capacitors, etc., all look good?

If it has a hd, disconnect the hd, and boot it from the optical drive.
If it has 2 sticks of ram, boot it with just one, and swap the slots that are used if it's still a problem.

If it won't boot up into the OS, see if it will continue to run for a long time, just at the BIOS screen.

Any parts that you can swap around that are known to be good and compatible, are very helpful. You may never find the bad component without substituting several parts to help further isolate the problem.

Good luck!

Also don't forget to check the power at the wall outlet. You said you just moved. Could be crappy unclean power coming from the wall causing your problems. Or simply a bad outlet not letting your psu have enough juice.

Just a thought since you are in a new place.

Back