• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I am down for a bit. MB CPU ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

don256us

Uber Folding Senior
My main folding rig just died. Like all the way dead died. PSU is dead. Replaced it and the system does not turn on. On, off, on, off, on, off....
MB is dead for sure and I don't know what else. 2 x 3080 and a 3060 are down hopefully fine.

My machine stopped talking to my network so there's my last puzzle piece to being down. 0 ppd.

Not sure when I can fix my main rig or when I can replace my main folding rig.

Looking for suggestions on an inexpensive MB, CPU package.

Don,

That sucks man.. sorry that happened.

I can't help with a CPU, but can get you a motherboard for cheap. Hit me up when you have a CPU. I have anything from Z4/5/690, X570 and some of the lower chipsets as well. LMK

Last edited:
It was one of my X58 machines. It owed no one anything. We had a brown-out and that was that. Wind has been crazy bad since yesterday morning and going well into tonight. Joys of living near Lake Michigan. Wind comes from Chicago and has nothing to slow it down when it gets to us.

About twice a year spring and fall. Fall is here. ;)

Thanks ED. Looking more for recomendations on purchase.

Don, are you looking for new (DDR5), newish (DDR4), or older (DDR3)?
Do you have a budget yet?
You need 3 PCIe x16 slots, correct?
Can a gen3 x4 slot Fold on a 3000 series or do you need at least gen3 x8? (question to anyone who knows the answer)

I have DDR 4 and DDR 3 on hand and would prefer to stay on either one.
Gen 3 and 4 PCIe are both fast enough for F@H.

3 x 16 lane would be best but 16/8/8 would work too.

I did get my main machine working again by uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers for my 2.5 Gb NIC. That was a relief as I was starting to get into the woods troubleshooting it.

3 x 16 lane would be best but 16/8/8 would work too.
That means HEDT again for Intel or AMD X570, right?

Mainstream platforms don't support three x16 lanes. You'll usually see a x16/x4/x4 with the x4 lanes fed from the chipset. You only see x8 if the primary slot splits with so x16 turns into x8/x8 with the PCH providing the remaining 3.0/4,0 lanes in x4 or x1 flavors.

Here are 5 AMD boards with 3 each gen4 x16 slots. Four are X570 & one is B550. Really need to read about each one to see what happens when you populate all 3 PCIe x16 slots.

Awesome. Looks like the value of the x16 slots is determined by the CPU. I'll start looking at CPUs.

Sorry guys. Had a big blowout with my boss and now my boss don't work for us no more. It wasn't because of me. Turns out he done did too much stuff he ought not have done did. Mine was just what alerted the higher ups. Been a stressful few weeks.

Anyway. I think I'm going about this wrong.

My main rig is a Threadripper 1900 with lots of PCIe lanes enough to run 2x 3080s and the 3060.

I should demote this rig to folding/VR gaming and build a cheaper "main" rig for my 3080Ti. Right? That makes sense doesn't it? I mean, I can't even run Win 11 on the current machine and if I'm looking to invest less money, it seems like it would be cheaper to buy a rig with only enough lanes for NVMe and a 3080Ti.

What do you guys think?

@unsafesteagle Really appreciate the x299 idea but the CPU alone to go with it is a bit salty so I'm going to pass for now.
@EarthDog I may have interest but I'm moving slow. If I go in that direction I'll ask if they are still availible.

As always, you guys are the best. Keep suggestions coming they are helpful.

Don.

My folding machine is a Threadripper 1900, built specifically because of the high lane count as well. Unfortunately, it's just getting old in the tooth as a platform at this point. I agree that as a daily driver, just build a new machine and leave the threadripper to fold on; that's what I did at least.

Yeah. I think that if I reuse my 1900x for folding and buy a cheaper system around my 3080 Ti, I can save some $$$. That's the direction that I'm looking into at the moment. Since winter weather is getting to the Great Lakes area, I will probably move a 3080 into the office to salvage some ppd as the heat won't be unwelcomed.

For a gaming DVD ripping and web browsing machine, I think I'm going to go with AMD. I'll post in another section looking for recomendations.

Had to turn off my living room PC for a few days crazy weather...The house was at 80 when I came home today....first time for the AC in 3 months...and we have not needed the heater to run either , so its been good.

It will be back to chilly in a day or 2 and I'll be looking to get back up.

So I changed plans again. The Threadripper 1900x will eventually be my folding/VR machine but not at this time.
My UnRAID and Folding/VR were exactly the same specs. The Folding/VR machine is gone. Dead. Destine to poison the earth. My UnRAID system will get pulled and made into the Folding/VR rig. I know it will work and it will work exactly as well as it did before.

I've bought parts to make a faster UnRAID server. PCIe ver 4 from ver 1, DDR4 from DDR3, Ryzen 7 3700x from Xeon W3690. I should have better transcoding and general performance. I've been able to keep the cost down and source parts that should be plenty good for my needs.

I will plan to replace the Threadripper but I will need more time. If I'm going to build a new "Main" rig, I want my value to be way up for what I do. I have other threads out there looking to educate myself so no need to continue that discussion here.

I'm mostly back up and running. This weekend with Vets day off, I put my "new" system in. I'm still waiting for my HBA so I'm a few drives down on my UnRAID system but all of my main drives fit and I got my media server going.

The system I pulled from the UnRAID machine became my folding/VR machine. I got it running and tried to get all of my GPUs working. That stupid "disabled" issue hit me again. I did a reboot and left it. I see that I'm getting some points so it's at least partially working.

Back