• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Freezing and Soundlooping Issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Maverick07

Hey everyone,

I recently built my first computer, and have been running several games in order to test out my brand new 512mb 8800 GT. Unfortunately, in these games I have encountered an issue where the program would run fine for several minutes, and out of nowhere the game would freeze for a few seconds (music looping, mouse unresponsive), and then recover. After recovering, the game would run normally, however several graphics in the game would become distorted (the mouse cursor would be a few square pixels, text would be unreadable). This initially took place in Guild Wars, where the developers informed me that they did not support my OS (Windows XP Professional 64-bit). However, I have also encountered the issue in Half-Life 2, Portal, Oblivion, and the Crysis Demo - all of which do support my OS.

Here is my course of action and results:

- I uninstalled my latest graphics drivers and installed the drivers provided by the card manufacturer (Biostar). When games were then attempted, the graphics would no longer pixelate. Instead the game would freeze, the sound would loop, and when I'd alt-tab out I'd see notifications from my Realtek driver that speakers were unplugged/plugged in. After dealing with the notification, I can then enter the game and play for a few more minutes before the problem relapses.

- I uninstalled and reinstalled the audio driver that came with the motherboard, there was no change.

-I uninstalled the audio driver completely, then when the game was run, it would freeze, and alt-tabbing out of the game and then back into it would fix it. The issue continues to relapse minutes later.

-I installed the latest graphics drivers from NVidia, resulting in the game freezing and image pixelating as before.

I checked my ICQ numbers in case there was a resource sharing issue between the video card and the audio chip, but they appear to be in different slots (although the video is still sharing #16 with several other PCI slots.

Does anyone have any suggestions? At this point I'm wondering if its a communication problem with the motherboard or the video card. I want to figure this out soon because I only have 30 days to get a refund.

Specs:
Windows XP 64-Bit
BIOSTAR V8803GT52 GeForce 8800 GT 512MB
Realtek 885 On Board HD Sound
4 Gigs Corsair DDR2 800 RAM
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz
Rosewill 750W PSU

If it locks and comes back with corrupted textures, your card is overheating. That is exactly what happens when my fan doesn't want to go above stock speeds ;)

Use RivaTuner to check temperatures.

BTW, :welcome: to the forums!

It took me a while to get a clean screenshot of the temperature monitoring, here are the results...

System temperatures while idle:

System temperatures while freezing:

Fan speeds while freezing:

My core temperature effectively went from 40 degrees Celsius up to as high as 63, though I'm not certain whether that's a good thing or not. I got my video card from newegg last week, and they magically decided to discontinue selling it... which is definitely a bad sign.

I'm just curious: how can a videocard overheating cause the realtek on board audio to believe I was plugging in/removing other audio devices?

I am very sorry, I missed this thread when you updated it :(

What are you running to get those temps up for the card? Use something like Furmark (LINKAGE) to get your video card temps. See if you get it to lock with that running:

1280x1024 (you can try higher, not sure what size monitor you have)
Windowed
Stability test mode

I swapped out my video card and substituted it with one of my friend's. The result: the games ran correctly.

I'm in the processing of RMAing the card. Now I'm just stuck with deciding whether to replace it with a BFG 8800 GT or an EVGA 8800 GT.

I'm in the processing of RMAing the card. Now I'm just stuck with deciding whether to replace it with a BFG 8800 GT or an EVGA 8800 GT.
Either, they are the same card. Only difference is support and I've heard both are very good.

Back