• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Big Problem, PLZ HELP!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gibbo3771

I don't actually know if this is a BIG problem but my +12v is sitting at 8.50v but jumping around a lot and the +5v is at 3.68v and jumping around a lot.

Does this mean my PSU is going to die away or blow my system, or on the good side just stop working and not damage anything.

Please reply as soon as, scared to sit next to ma computer :( lol.

Check with a multimeter if you haven't already - software is always wrong.

IMO the software is just borked. You need a DMM to find out to be sure, and if it was really that variable? Things wouldn't be working. Don't worry, I don't think it will explode.

While yeah at 8V it wouldn't even turn on, what PSU model is it and what are your system specs? Without the assistance of a DMM that would give us a better idea how likely you are to have issues with it.

If you haven't experienced any stability issues at high load (gaming/stress-testing) you're probably OK, but with the above info we could better determine whether you'd need a new power supply or not.

Last edited:
The Power Supply is 650Watts and is a Cooler Master but it was only 28 Pounds. (eBay Brand New and Boxed)

There is a great amount of heat coming out the back of the PSU sometimes but not at full load, just randomly but a thought that was because the temp of my room. Also i have realized that the noise of my computer has increase a bit.

And eh PSU arent my specialty :( so how do a test it with a Multimeter.
Thanks

Foxconn SLI 590
AMD 6000+ DuelCore 3.0Ghz Stock heatsink
4GB OCZ DDR2 800(I think, Might be DDR3:-/)
Geforce 9600GT
Ageia Physx card (Never Used)
250GB Sata Seagate
20x Poineer DVD-RW
16x Philips DVD ROM

32Inch Samsung HDTV/Monitor
Logitech G15 Keyboard
Microsoft Sidwinder 2000DPi Mouse
Saitek Cyborg Joystick
Logitech x540 5.1

Last edited:
And eh PSU arent my specialty :( so how do a test it with a Multimeter.
Thanks

To test with a multimeter you will first have to set your mutlimeter to DC voltage. This can easily be done on a loose molex connection. Find a loose molex and connect your RED multimeter prong to a YELLOW wire and your BLACK multimeter prong to a BLACK wire. The 12V rail is YELLOW, so be sure to look for that and black is always ground, so connect your black to black.

Little bit of an update, ive not tested my computer yet because im away from home till monday. I built a computer for my friend with the using the same Make of PSU and Same Model except its a 800Watt it has got a small heat issue, so has my computer since i have realised my PSU problem, if my PSU is fooked and about to go could the heat the now be caused by that???

Her Spec:

Thermaltake Tai Chi( Non Water Cooled )
Nforce 780i SLI Motherboard
Intel Core 2 Extreme Quad-Core QX6700 2.66Ghz( Thermaltake V1 Cooler )
4GB Corsair DDR2 800Mhz ( 2 x 2GB )
Nvidia Geforce 8800GTS SLI x2 ( Thermaltake DuoOrb Cooling )
Seagate 500GB Sata 7200rpm
Western digital Raptor 74GB 10,000rpm
Front 120mm intake, Back 120mm outtake

I dont know how this computer has heat issues because the cooling worked well for about 3 month and it started to get a bit toasty, hes going to get a water cooling system if i fit it ( lazy a$$:beer:) but i dont know if thats the problem. Shes wanting a third 8800GTS but scared of heat damage, and thats without the DuoOrb so its going to be worse.

If anyone could try and verify if the heat could be caused by s**t PSU's.

:beer:

It sounds like dust buildup. If it were a cooling issue, it should have surfaced immediately and not now. Either that or a fan has failed.

Not sure why she would want to add another GTS, you can't run 3 in SLi.

Fans seem fine and the thing is dust free :confused:

Also my 12v is running fine at 11.24v :) thanks people :beer:

can u explain to me why u cant run 3x SLI lol, and suggest a trio of cards that can :)

Back