• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Too High?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

badpvtdan

Registered
I am a babe in the woods when it comes to cooling. I have (for looks) a CoolerMaster Sphere. I know it isn't great for over-clocking but thought it would do for now. You can see my CPUs in the attached pic:

Am I setting myself up for failure?
Thanks so much.

You need to worry about temperatures at load, not at idle. Those seem a bit high, but like I said, load temps matter. Get Prime95 or OCCT to stress the CPU and see how hot it gets.

Deal Master is right. I will add that the delta temp from idle to load is another thing you should be looking at closely and keep within 15 deg. or so. A good cooler and good thermal interface material applied to two FLAT surfaces(ie your CPU IHS and HS Base) will provide this for you. I won't criticize your temperatures, because I don't know the ambient room temperature. I will say however, that if your ambient is anywhere near room temp, those temperatures are quite high for idle(doubt it since it looks like you are in TX). Got AC?
Also, I really have no idea how Coretemp works with Yorkfield processors. The software might be out to lunch too. Anyone clarify on that one? Just to be thorough, DL another temp program and check CoreTemp against it. I think Realtemp may work, if not, Everest is a good one.

Like dealmaster said, get yourself Prime95 and do some small fft torture testing and get some screenshots of your load temps. Then post back for us to see.

Back