• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I just about my first basic water cooling kit...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Here it is

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835108076

I've been reading in the forums. I'm gonna use distilled water only. However, where would I get that algaecide and what does it do?

Also, when I run out of the coolant that this kit comes with, where can I get more? manufacturer or can I go to Pep Boys?

Good luck with it, make sure you plan ahead and go slow. Swiftech is a very reliable brand, just make sure to follow the instructions to a "T" and be gentle.

It's cost like 3 bucks from PerformancePC

Oh Reeeeeallly?... here's a tip, try to be nice and considerate of others please.

Algaecide kills bacteria growth in the lines. You can pick it up at any petshop locally that sells fish and aquarium supplies :)

I don't recommend coolant in the loop, but yes, you can use 2-3 oz. of antifreeze.

Btw, Congrats on your first wcing setup and good luck with it! :thup:

So should I just put distilled water with a bit of algaecide and no coolant? When you say antifreeze, do you mean coolant? Cause pretty much coolant comes with antifreeze already inside. What color should I get? Or the same color as the one that comes with the kit?

So why is it bad to use coolant/antifreeze in the loop?

I'll prob just use distilled water with algaecide. How much algaecide and how often do I replenish the water and algaecide in the loop?

Coolant/Antifreeze is the same thing. CXoolant comes in different colors. I've seen red, purple and the famous green. Up to you what color you prefer as it's all the same.

With algaecide., just follow the instructions on the bottle. Since the loop isn't big and does not contain a gal of water, just 1-2 cap-fulls will do.

There's a misconception of antifreeze/coolant in pc wcing loops. I had bad luck with it, but then it could've been a bad chemical reaction on my part. I never added antifreeze/coolant in my loop and when I did I also added algaecide and 2 weeks later I had to take the whole thing apart and flush it out as it left a white nasty gunk.

Now I just use plain distilled water and a cap of algaecide. Maybe some green ink for the color, but that's it. Replenishing the water and algaecide in the loop is up to you. Usually if nothing has grown in the lines, you can go for about a year without replenishing. Just get into the habit of checking it evry few days for leaks and evry few weeks to see if you need to top off with water.

I flush out my entire system about once evry 6-8 months, but then I'm a perfectionist :cool:

Back