• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can't decide on case...halp!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Amtrak

Yes, another one of those threads.

I am planning on building my first rig as soon as I can scrape together the cash to do so. That being said, I've already settled on most of the necessary parts. However, I seem to be completely unable to choose the box in which everything goes.

What I'm looking for in a case:
  • Mid-or-full-tower case. Overall size doesn't much matter.
  • Not crazy-lookin'.
  • Most preferably a large, well-placed window.
  • Good to excellent cooling options without having to be modded. Doesn't need to include all the fans (as I will likely replace all of them, anyway), but should have good airflow and plenty of fan placement options.
  • $250 or less. Exceptions can certainly be made if the cost is justified.
Currently, I'm stuck between the Antec 900, Antec 1200, and Cosmos 1000. I plan on overclocking a quad core processor, as well as the video card and memory, so I need to have adequate airflow through the case. I absolutely love the Cosmos 1000, but the airflow in that case seems poor. With only two intake fans, both of which seem badly placed, I think my temps would suffer. Though I think it is considerably less stylish, the Antec 900 is a popular quality case that satisfies all my criteria. The only concern I have with the 900 is how much dust it pulls in. For a case with so many high-powered fans, dust covers would greatly ease the cleaning process. On that note, we arrive at the Antec 1200. Again, this case is pretty much the same as the 900, only a little bigger and with dust covers. I can't decide which of these three cases I want.

Comments, thoughts, suggestions - I need them all.

Antec ..

I would personally recommend the Antec p182 mid tower...great tower with excellent design and cooling..Im using a p182 myself..if your feeling ballsy..then go for the Antec P190...ooo weee..Hope this helps..

Well..

I like the expandability of it..and in my opinion..with my 2 extra 120mm fans...my board and cpu stay pretty cool.compared to when i didnt have them...54c load vs 50c load after fan install..plus i dont like gimicky lights and such..so the Gunmetal Aluminum does it for me..Its also pretty quiet even with the 5 fans installed in teh case..As you can see in my sig..my oc is pretty high and my temps are almost near stock....But hey every likes what they like...ive had good experience with Antec cases aswell as LianLI..Plus...i paid 105usd for my p182..which goes for 160 in some places...i figured i got a steal..lol...Cheers

How about a thermaltake armor ? This case seems to have it all, and yet nobody recommends it, I wonder why ?

:welcome: to the forums!

My vote goes for the Antec 900 or 1200. 1200 seems a bit too pricey to be worth it over the 900 imo. I have two Antec 900's and I can't see any other case providing better airflow to keep those innards nice and cool. You also have the option to go with water cooling with those nice little pre-drilled holes.

How about a thermaltake armor ? This case seems to have it all, and yet nobody recommends it, I wonder why ?

A lot of people like the Armours but I swaer to never buy a Tt product again. I went from a Tsunami to a CM690 stacker and the build quality was light years apart.

I've good things about the 900 except that wire management is PITA. You should look into the CM690 as well as its cooling is excellent and very reasponable on the price side.

JM

On cases without fan dust covers, particularly the 900, how bad is the dust problem? Do you guys ever have to give your rigs a cleaning out of necessity? How often should I expect to go between cleanings, or is it a helluva lot more manageable than I'm making it out to be?

It really depends on your house. If you have animals that hang around your room, or carpet, dust can get really bad. But since my dog stays away and we put wood floors in, I barely get any dust at all in my machines anymore, and they're at floor level. Just a quick pass of the canned air every month was all I needed.

I've good things about the 900 except that wire management is PITA. You should look into the CM690 as well as its cooling is excellent and very reasponable on the price side.

JM

+1 on the CM690. Very nice case with LOADS of extras and has filters on the intake fans as well as lots of room and good cable management options. Best performance/price ratio in the midtower market. They now have the side window version available for ~$100.

Axis

Back