• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ATI 4850 512mb vs 2gig

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
That is very disappointing. One of my friends said something about a 2gb video card being released a few weeks ago... I didn't believe him until now.

1GB will be the sweetspot in the upcoming months, for a while.

There's simply no practical(for the consumer) application of a 2GB graphics card.

But TONS of idiots will fall for it, soo many people think the amount of graphics memory reflects performance, it's a vast chunk of sales.

the usual, marketing, the card isnt powerful enough to use all the ram at a high enough res or eye candy to use it

remeber more ram = higher res + eye candy.

now the 4870 with 1G should fly at any res really, since the ram is so darn fast! wonder if the core can keep up!

Well seriously, i know 4850 is a fast card but does adding more than 512MB memory make a difference ? I dont think the core is yet that quick. Memory size isnt a bottleneck, speed can be. Wish they release a GDDR4 4850 with custom heatsink for $200-ish :beer:

http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon-hd-4850-2-gb-gddr3-review/1

so for 2gig at the highest res only 3fps..... i hope you get a bigger gain when in CF... other wise what a waste of money..

I guess I read something different than you did... The 2Gb card used 200mhz less speed on the memory first of all, so in most games that lost a few frames could easily be overcome if the clocks were bumped.

Grid picked up 11FPS at the highest res (29 vs 40, which could certainly mean the difference between "barely playable" and "actually playable"

In Crysis, the 2Gb card was 15% faster at every point until 1920x1200 where the gap narrowed to about 8%, obviously due to GPU saturation. I'm not even sure why they tested at "medium" details when every other game in the list was at "uber max" -- that's kinda crap. But oh well...

I'm not going to argue that 2Gb is worth it, but I think there's sufficient information here to suggest that a 1Gb card could certainly see benefit -- so long as the manufacturer makes it fair and keeps the clocks at the same speeds.

We have to unlock the potential of the 4850 to see but I doubt more ram will make a difference until it is used in cf with some high res/settings but then the ram bandwidth might still kill it.

I guess I read something different than you did... The 2Gb card used 200mhz less speed on the memory first of all, so in most games that lost a few frames could easily be overcome if the clocks were bumped.

Grid picked up 11FPS at the highest res (29 vs 40, which could certainly mean the difference between "barely playable" and "actually playable"

In Crysis, the 2Gb card was 15% faster at every point until 1920x1200 where the gap narrowed to about 8%, obviously due to GPU saturation. I'm not even sure why they tested at "medium" details when every other game in the list was at "uber max" -- that's kinda crap. But oh well...

I'm not going to argue that 2Gb is worth it, but I think there's sufficient information here to suggest that a 1Gb card could certainly see benefit -- so long as the manufacturer makes it fair and keeps the clocks at the same speeds.
well to be honast i missed the ram speed on the 2gig. i assumed being a 4850 the ram speeds would be equal after all, but i should never assume that on the same model video card(s). i did figure better FPS at the higher res's then what some of the numbers showed. you are right though i figured that with 2gig at higher res's would help boost the gpu is putting out fps. meaning as you pointed out the GPU saturation. i was kinda suprised to see the revie, i thought it was wrong too. i was really hoping to see a 1gig 4850 review. yea i thought that was bit odd as well on the crysis bench. i mean at 720p i game in crysis with it on High settings, nice and smooth.

Back